Thread: A Good Autumn for the Turning Arena

A Good Autumn for the Turning Arena

Have been able to add a few lathe attachments this fall. Was able to finally order and receive a Monster Articulated Arm hollowing system. However, after using it on some larger hollow forms, decided that I needed the Captive Bar system as well. So ended up ordering that, and received it, as well. Also got a couple Vicmark chucks with extra jaws as well. Tis nice to be able to switch chucks instead of switching jaws.

Seeing as how I have the hollowing system, I figured that I needed a steady rest as well. Looked at some of those available commercially and would have probably gotten one from Mr Nichols, but alas, he had suspended his production at the time. After much thought, internet perusing, and searching for plans, finally made the one seen here.

I also finalized an order with Mike Smith for some turning blocks. They made it here over last weekend and I am delighted to see his products are as nice as everyone has described.

Have already roughed out four hollow forms, three in bigleaf maple and one ambrosia maple. Will wait on pictures till I get closer to a finished product.

Recently received a vacuum pump as well and am now just waiting on the adapter and parts and will have my vacuum holding system as well.

Have sold several urns for pet cremains at the local pet crematorium and they are asking for more samples for display.

Life is good around the lathe these days.

Clint
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow. Thats quite an arsenal to receive in one fell swoop. Somebody has been on Santa's good list this year. Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts with the fruits of your labor.

What a great opportunity and nice setup..... does someone come in and clean the shop regularly?

Looks like a nice steady rest. I'm thinking about making one but don't have welding capabilities at the moment. Are there plans available for this or did you sort of figure it out as you went?

Congrats on all your new tools and also on your new steady rest! Looks like you have a great setup and I look forward to seeing those hollow forms! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rotche View Post
    Looks like a nice steady rest. I'm thinking about making one but don't have welding capabilities at the moment. Are there plans available for this or did you sort of figure it out as you went?
    This was one of those make it by yourself after viewing others. I've been thinking about a How-To on the making of this one because I'm really pleased with how it came out. Only thing I'd have done differently would have been to make it larger to support bigger pieces.

Made from 3/4" phenolic faced Baltic Birch plywood, 5/16" T-track and the proverbial in-line skate wheels.

Clint

7. Pretty nice acquisitions Clint. Good job on the steady rest..........you are correct, they are not hard to make, and I like your use of T-tracks......I made my arms out of oak, and then I went and purchased one from Jeff Nicols..........gave the other one to a turner friend for his Jet 16/42.

Nice setup you have there......looking forward to the pics when you finish those pieces you referred to !
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks like you are set to go Clint. Looks like a good looking setup.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Clint,
    Nice setup. I made my steady rest out of steel. Along with the locations you have on your wheel arms, I made mine so that I could put some in at the horizontal level. That way when I use the laser on my Monster, the 45 degree wheel arm can be moved to the horizontal and not get in the way of the laser. That also puts a roller right where my tool is cutting.

Is it my imagination or does you hollowing bar have a bend in it as it enters your vase?

I agree with Fred, you must have a maid or elves that come in at night and clean your shop--send them my way if you would.

Happy turning,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    Only thing I'd have done differently would have been to make it larger to support bigger pieces.

Made from 3/4" phenolic faced Baltic Birch plywood, 5/16" T-track and the proverbial in-line skate wheels.

Clint
    From the looks, if you had made the face toward the tailstock from 1/2" the T-track would have been flush and the wheels would operate if they were withdrawn to the maximum where they overlap the frame. The circle is as large as it needs to be, and I don't think that would have reduced the strength too much. Nice rig. I got a Nichols not too much before he stopped making them, just before he went to making them with all arms movable.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Clint,
    Is it my imagination or does you hollowing bar have a bend in it as it enters your vase?

I agree with Fred, you must have a maid or elves that come in at night and clean your shop--send them my way if you would.

Happy turning,
    Steve
    That bar is the swan neck hollowing bar for the Monster system. Get a lot further under the edge using it.

I've been using the vacuum to suck the chips from the interior while hollowing. Seeing as how it's already in hand, I use it on the lathe to get it all pretty as well.

Thom,

I'm thinking about just using a 1/4" baltic birch spacer to bring my arms out flush with the face of my plywood. If I only use them on large turnings, should be more than adequate I think.

Clint

I think I am going to give this a try. Any chance you could post a few more pics or description of how you get a sturdy attachment of ring to base and base to lathe? I really like your t-track idea for holding the wheels and looks like there is a good selection at www.ttrackusa.com. Where did you get the phenolic plywood? I also read about using formica surfaced countertop material. Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rotche View Post
    I think I am going to give this a try. Any chance you could post a few more pics or description of how you get a sturdy attachment of ring to base and base to lathe? I really like your t-track idea for holding the wheels and looks like there is a good selection at www.ttrackusa.com. Where did you get the phenolic plywood? I also read about using formica surfaced countertop material. Thanks for posting this.
    I got my phenolic plywood from Woodpeckers several years ago and had just been hanging onto it till I used it for this project. I see that Woodcraft sells 3/4" phenolic plywood in a 24" x 48" size. I believe you could make this unit from a piece that size.

I got my T-track from Rockler. They sell a Universal T-Track Kit that has knobs and t-bolts in it as well. They only give you two of each size t-bolts, but I had two of their kits so used four of the 1-1/2" long bolts to lock my tracks in place. Slides easily and locks firmly.

I ended up screwing my ring to my base piece. With the high quality plywood, the connection appears to be quite rigid and I've had no issues with it to date. If I need to reinforce it later, I'll probably use some Festool Dominos to beef up the connection.

I attached a piece of 1/4 baltic birch plywood to the bottom of the base to fit the lathe's ways. I then used another piece of 1/2" baltic birch as the clamping piece. 3/8" t-nuts allow me to clamp it down securely.

If you notice in the picture, there is a slot at the 12:00 position if you need to reposition one of the support wheels to allow use of a laser when hollowing.

Clint
    Last edited by Clint Baxter; 11-29-2012 at 9:07 PM. Reason: Added comments

Thanks, Clint. Appreciate the details. Ordered the t-track yesterday and am heading by woodcraft this afternoon to check out their plywood. Will hit the thrift shop this weekend to look for some inline skates. Hopefully can post my results in a week or two!