Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A very uncommon project....

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Beautiful timbers and a great job milling. Thanks for letting us watch. Are you coating them with something to slow down drying or just letting them do their thing?
    Ted, it looks like the original plan has chanbged, as the customer and I are now discussing options for a coating. They have used some Tung Oil on some sample boards, and liked the end result. I've recommend that they consider using Land Ark Original finish for the initial coating, and will be sending them a sample board early next week. Land Ark Original is a tung oil based finish that is optimized for use on green timbers. Presuming that they approve it, I'll be coating the beams in another week or so.

Fascinating, Scott! Thanks for sharing that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Will you be joining the log on its trip, Scott? Let us know when you're up this way and maybe some of us can stop by to say 'hi'.
    I'm up for that as well!

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    I'm up for that as well!
    Looks like it will be February; as the customer is working through some issues on the building permit. I'll be sure to let y'all know in advance before I head up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Looks like it will be February; as the customer is working through some issues on the building permit. I'll be sure to let y'all know in advance before I head up.
    Hope you pick the right time... February is prime Snowmageddon time in these parts
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Hope you pick the right time... February is prime Snowmageddon time in these parts
    Yup...that's very true, Dan.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Scott is a real Pro!

Back in the 1980's I picked edges at a sawmill near Flathead Lake in Montana.

The noise, dust and slippery conditions were generated rendering much smaller logs, mostly Ponderosa pine.
    The newbie operators that could not appreciate the unforgiving physics involved rarely lasted long.

The old timers were deliberate, methodical and mostly deaf.

It amazes me that a portable operation can now render much heavier materials on such a large scale.

Anyone that's actually cut down firewood from log lengths to stove knows what a challenge Scott has managed.

Kudos.

A great thread, Scott -- these guys should see you in action with that amazing sawmill. I consider myself very fortunate to have see you both in action. Hope to see you in the new year on one of my visits to my daughter's in Apex.

Wow, those were some awesome logs, and the beams you were able to get out them are amazing. I hope you can post some pictures of the finished restaurant too!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    A great thread, Scott -- these guys should see you in action with that amazing sawmill. I consider myself very fortunate to have see you both in action. Hope to see you in the new year on one of my visits to my daughter's in Apex.
    Hi Rob, it's great to hear from you. By all means give me a call when you're headed this way; it would be great to see you again.

Scott

SMC member Joe Cowan stopped by the farm today to pick up some QSRO, and while he was here he enquired about the long beams. The last time that he was here I had acquired the logs but not yet milled them. We took a moment to walk up the hill so he could look them over and also snap a pic.

Joe, it was great to see you again; thanks for stopping by!

Scott

Scott and Joe Cowan.jpg

Amazing!!! Not sure why I only saw this tonight. Thanks for the "tutorial". It's not something I'll be trying. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I live "outside DC". What is the name of the restaurant? I would certainly visit this restaurant. Thanks for posting the pics. Super interesting. I've been joint facing some 3" square and 4" square posts (cherry, purpleheart and poplar) that have been sitting on a friends bench for 20 yrs. The difference in technique to get to fresh heartwood is almost comical. Please try to include the dog. I have a shop cat.

Wow, that's really something Scott! Happy New Year to you, sir.

My little poplar logs feel so inadequate now.

BTW... Speaking of my little poplar logs...

;-)

K