Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A very uncommon project....

Many logs, especially oak, have a tension present in the log that is released during the milling process. This tension causes the log and/or boards to move (I have actually seen boards lift themselves off of the log while being milled due to tension). Because the scarcity of large logs suitable for this project (as well as the expense), I opted for a conservative approach and milled two of the log faces twice, instead of just once. The initial milling resulted in a beam that was around 1” thicker and wider than needed. We then subsequently turned the beam back to the initial faces for the final cuts. Because 90% of the outer wood had already been removed, the bulk of the tension had been released in the logs/ beams and we could now safely mill to the final dimensions. The tension was clearly evident, as the slim boards now being removed from the beam faces tended to vary slightly in thickness. We also accounted for the location of the pith in the log when milling, so as to achieve the best balance between milling needs and center pith (to minimize future beam movement due to unequal stresses on the different beam faces).

This photo shows the progression of milling the final inch out of the last face:

The beams are now complete! Here is a photo of the finished narrow and wide faces on the beams:

When complete, the differences in width and thickness from end to end was around 1/8” – 3/16”; which is a reasonable tolerance for something this size.

The last step was to crane the finished beams out of the sawmill and onto one of my trailers for subsequent transportation up to a drying barn.

They will stay in the barn out of the direct sunlight until we are ready to deliver them to the jobsite in Washington, DC.

I hope that everybody has enjoyed this post; it was certainly a fun and interesting project!

Scott
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 12-09-2012 at 1:41 PM.

everything here is in massive scale, very impressive.
    Going back to the first few photos, pushing that blade thorough the lug certainly needs a lot of guts; one slip of foot could spell disaster.
    The guy operating it must be very confident and skilled and comfortable doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    The guy operating it must be very confident and skilled and comfortable doing this.

Mreza, that's me in most of the milling photos; it's not as dangerous as the photo's make it appear. The sawmill has a removable guard on the left side of the carriage that I've removed for "double cutting". Normally with the guard in place you can't see the blade.

Also, the pix make the blade appear to be closer to the operator than it really it.

Operating this sawmill is similar to operating a tablesaw or flying a small aircraft; you have to have your mind in the game at all times or bad things can happen. However, if one develops safe habits the risks are manageable.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 12-09-2012 at 3:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    When complete, the differences in width and thickness from end to end was around 1/8” – 3/16”; which is a reasonable tolerance for something this size.
    A hand plane should make quick work of that.

Amazing post and pictures, thanks for sharing.

Awesome. Thanks for this, Scott.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

Beautiful timbers and a great job milling. Thanks for letting us watch. Are you coating them with something to slow down drying or just letting them do their thing?

Blog Entries
    Will you be joining the log on its trip, Scott? Let us know when you're up this way and maybe some of us can stop by to say 'hi'.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Nice work Scott....Doing a 42' beam and getting it that close from end to end is amazing. I don't know if anyone has gone to the Peterson saw site but it's pretty cool.....

Scott,
    I'll second Dans' question about the logs trip to DC........it would be really cool to see these logs and their jobsite. But I know it's not always a good idea to have an audience! Thanks again for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Beautiful timbers and a great job milling. Thanks for letting us watch. Are you coating them with something to slow down drying or just letting them do their thing?
    The installer will coat them with a commercial timberframe finish.

On my own stuff, I usually go with the traditional timber coating of 50% BLO and 50% turpentine; however I've recently discovered that substituting d-limonene for the turpentine will result in a more pleasant aroma from the finished beams.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Will you be joining the log on its trip, Scott? Let us know when you're up this way and maybe some of us can stop by to say 'hi'.

Dan, I'm planning to deliver the two large beams myself, and use common carriers to deliver the remaining 80K lbs of the order. Most likely the delivery will be in early January, but it's contingent upon whenever their engineers complete the review of the smaller beams on the project. Considering the traffic around DC, and the special nature of these beams, most likely I'll drive up during the night and deliver the beams first thing in the morning.

It would be great to meet you and some fellow SMC members while I'm in your neighborhood! Perhaps we could meet for breakfast or something...

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    this size of logs would be perfect for a saw pit to explain how it were done back when
    how will the beams get installed ?
    Ray, I'm not sure if I replied to you before or not, but I think that they are planning to use metal plate connectors instead of traditional timberframe joinery. I have not seen the drawings for the finished assembly yet, so I don't know for sure.

For those unfamiliar with this type of sawmill [Winch Production Frame (WPF)], here’s a link to Peterson’s video demonstrating the WPF.

http://petersonsawmills.com/products/wpf/

Scott - Nice Job! I have always felt the best choice of these type mills was Peterson. I hope to see your Beams some day!
    Leo

Very Cool. Thanks for taking the time to share it.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.