Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: A very uncommon project....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    Wow Scott, I would have paid money to watch the whole process.
    Yep, I would have sprung for tickets to the show, too.

I am surprised that they used those T plates instead of timber frame joints for joining columns to the long beam.

Sort of like this
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lyb_jaLTcq...on+joinery.jpg

Could be because of code, probably just a cost. Cool beams though.

Scott-very cool post. Thanks for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    I'll update this post when I'm going to be in DC at a decent hour
    From my experience, there is no such thing as a "decent hour" in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Finally made it last night. Great place!
    David, those are great pix! Thanks much for sharing.

A bit of trivia... when I was first awarded the project their plan was to only have two posts per the 43' beams. Their engineer sized the beams, and they cut me loose on obtaining the requisite logs (which took a while and was the source of a lot of hair pulling). After I had sourced the logs, they had a second engineer check the first engineers calculations, and they did not agree. A multi-month pissing contest arose between the two engineers, while I was sitting on these logs concerned about them starting to decay. Finally they agreed to move forward by putting in the middle post (which really upset the owner as he wanted a free span), and we started to mill. They were a bit consoled when I informed them that it would be all but impossible to source logs long enough, and straight enough to make a taller beam (such as a 20" beam that the second engineer was alluding to; I would have had to source a 30" small end diameter log, or greater!).

The reason for the metal plates (post and beam) instead of mortise and tenon (timberframe) on the post to beam connections was two fold. First, the local building codes had language for metal splice plates but not M&T, and second the construction crew that was selected for the job was familiar with post and beam construction but not experienced in making the joinery for a timberframe connection.

Your welcome Scott least I could do!

Moved as suggested.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Great work. But,I can't tell how your mill is cutting the logs. Where is the blade? What kind of blade? We always use a Wood Mizer around here. It is a bandsaw,of course.

A friend of mine has a sawmill that specializes in cutting beams for museum use. It is called "Museum Resources". He has 2 Wood Mizers. Quite a large business by now.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Great work. But,I can't tell how your mill is cutting the logs. Where is the blade? What kind of blade? We always use a Wood Mizer around here. It is a bandsaw,of course.

A friend of mine has a sawmill that specializes in cutting beams for museum use. It is called "Museum Resources". He has 2 Wood Mizers. Quite a large business by now.
    Hi George, thank you for the kind words. This type of sawmill is called a "swing blade" mill and they are very uncommon. Mine is made in New Zealand and they are primarily used for very large logs that are not practical to move or turn.

Here is a link to a video that will show you how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjDJu...layer_embedded

The blade is a 26" circular blade that is flush mounted to a gearbox that pivots.

I'm familiar with the Woodmizers; they make a great mill. I have three sawmills; the Peterson WPF, a home-made dedicated slabber, and my bandmill is a Baker 3638D which is somewhat physically larger than a Woodmizer LT70.