Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Statutory Grape!!!

Rick, I just want to be clear... You asked for C&C, that's what I gave. By all means, I wasn't criticizing the piece as if were a bad turning. Again, you did a great job with the color, finish, and curves. I DO like the finial, I just don't think it fits this piece. And again, I'm no expert, so these are just my opinions... I think you did a great job on it. I just don't think "great job" without any constructive comments help...especially when you ask for C&C.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Rick, I just want to be clear... You asked for C&C, that's what I gave. By all means, I wasn't criticizing the piece as if were a bad turning. Again, you did a great job with the color, finish, and curves. I DO like the finial, I just don't think it fits this piece. And again, I'm no expert, so these are just my opinions... I think you did a great job on it. I just don't think "great job" without any constructive comments help...especially when you ask for C&C.
    Mike, I totally agree with you Which is why I like you! LOL, I am appreciative of your take on it, and I'm glad you piped up! I just happen to agree with you... If only you knew how tired I am of making finials for this piece LOL
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

When I was a kid, I liked to make model cars and the first one I entered in a show was almost exactly this color. It looks great on a 1940 Ford tudor! Your finial has a very Art Deco feel to it while the form itself has a kind of 50's Buck Rogers rocket shape. That, combined with the contrast in color with the body of the piece might be why it seems like it does not quite fit. I am finding that the perception of the size of the base is effected by how hard or soft the bottom edge is. Forms like this that are firmly planted on the surface can look "fat" if the bottom of the form is larger than the opening or the lid.

As I was writing this, you posted the blue one. That is a much more refined form but I like the finial on this one better.
    David DeCristoforo

Yes I think these tall skinny ones fall into the tuck don't tuck category... I didn't tuck, when I should have! I'm always zigging when I should have zagged

The blue finial I am even less fond of... I believe that's the fifth or sixth one that has been on it
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Rick - great job on the color! Looks to be about 1" deep and we know how hard depth is to capture with a photo - so seeing this in person must be something else!

I agree with the comments about the bottom of the form being rolled slightly and also that the finial - while very nice doesn't quite fit with the overall form. I understand creating contrast between elements but in this case I feel the black collar is what throws everything off. If the collar had been a cove... leading up to the art-deco finial, I think it would have been a better flow. Just my opinion.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quite the eyecatcher Rick. Although I am more of a blue fan, I like the shape and whiteness of the holly on this one a bit better. I don't have much imagination so often find it difficult to appreciate three colors in a turning. Since the collar is black and doesn't seem to flow into either whats above or below, it kind of interrupts my appreciation of the whole thing.(for lack of a better thought)

Thanks! I think the three colors worked better in my head. These have definitely been the most challenging pieces design wise for me, as usually I don't design, I just fly by the seat of my pants.

Baxter, I believe I actually made at least 8 blackwood caps for these 4 turnings (at least 4 of which were for the blue one) simply due to the shape, I'd get the fit just right on the form, I'd go to pop it off of the form and it would shoot right out the palm of my hand, inevitably landing on it's edge on the hard tile floor... breaking. So needless to say, I'm tired of making this shape of lids too . So there is little chance that y'all will have to endure too many more than the current 4 pieces. Carry on gentleman! Keep it coming!

Form is great, purple is so Prince. I like the diff finial, yours, and that is good. Not every finial has to have an onion. The contrast is a bit much, again, if the collar was holly I think all good. I just think the three colors breaks it up a bit too much, the collar really does not need to say look at me, the form and the finial are doing the dance. Love what you are doing with color, keep experimenting and showing us the results.

P.S. Like the finials on these Rick, looking at them again I see a bunch of art deco in them, is that just happen stance or is that something that influences your work?

Dah, now that I went back and finished reading your comments you already answered my question.
    Last edited by Mark Hubl; 11-24-2012 at 10:39 PM.