Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CLTT vs. dye sub

I use IPI from Johnson Plastic in .050" or .060" white/black but have used other colors with a white cap as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Well, this whole idea may get shelved...again. I received word back from the client on the price point they were hoping I could match, but in the small quantities they were asking for it simply wasn't financially worthwhile. The cost of the job would have barely covered time on the laser, so equipment, setup, handling, etc., any one of them would put me in the red on the project. At roughly 40% of my quoted price, I wished them luck... I hope their new supplier gives them a quality product at that price point. :-/

Well, maybe not scrap the entire idea. My wife has been bugging me for a multi-function printer (scanner, copier, fax, etc.), so I've been trying to find a color laser that has those features. The Oki MC361 fits the bill, but the reviews say graphics output is a little dodgy... it'd be fine for her needs, but I don't want to offer up a sub-par product. Konica offers zero MFPs, as far as I can tell. Can anyone confirm Xerox toners are acceptable for CLTT?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The European Magic Touch site has the compatability guides for different laser models. I think they liked the Xerox Phaser if I remember right.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Dan

Call MagicTouch. It's the paper that must be compatible. Some papers, such as Cactus will not work for me. You may be better off buying a b/w all-in-one and a separate color laser printer.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I still say the way to do that job is to have it flatbed printed and then cut that on the laser. MUCH MUCH cheaper.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I use a Xerox Phaser 6360 and haven't had any issues, I run water slide decal material and a few other paper decals. Not good for vinyl
    though as it runs a bit hot. Sometimes I have to use the regular tray as opposed to the multi purpose though. There are dye sub cartridges for
    some laser printers, not sure what issues would arise in swutching back and forth.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    I use a Xerox Phaser 6360 and haven't had any issues. There are dye sub cartridges for some laser printers.
    Martin, I assume you're using the stock toner and special paper? My research tells me that's the cheapest way to go page-for-page, compared to using the special toner and regular paper.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Stock toner, albeit Hi-Capacity, Magic Touch Papers, I do know some that use a black (dye sub) toner to make plates as
    many printer drivers will not let you select black only but this will give a good black. For toner transfers you may want to
    put a protective coat as they can scratch off or dissolve with a solvent. I started doing it on tiles then worked to dye sub
    as some used tiles for more than plaques and would get damaged. Although....tiles only cost $.15 or so and if one didn't
    come out right a bit of Acetone allowed them to be re-used. I do have to say though for transfering to metal for plate
    work the toner transfer gives a raised letter effect which looks nice.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

The CLT process puts the toner on the surface and it is susceptible to scratching however that's rarely a problem. Post baking with a heat gun hardens the CLT and makes it more scratch proof while imparting something of a gloss to it. Metals are more likely to scratch than plastic but I use metals mainly for plaques so there is little chance for them to be scratched.

My most profitable transfer operation is black laser sublimation using a re-furbished HP 4000 that I bought from Dolphin Enterprises several years back. When not using it for sub I switch cartridges and use it to print invoices. I use this exclusively on metal.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    .... Post baking ...
    This point should be emphasized. Makes a Big difference.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Another thing I forgot to mention--CLT can cause problems on large area transfers. I did three 8 x 10's yesterday and all had pin point areas of metal showing through. It wasn't easy to see but it was there and I've noticed that before. I didn't charge for these pieces and won't do more.

Sometimes a close inspection of the transfer will reveal things like this before pressing bit I didn't see these on the transfer.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

FWIW I am a dye-sub fan even though it is expensive and can be a pain in the neck. The picture of Captain Christopher Newport below was done on a 10" diameter Glacier White Corian disk and it doesn't do the piece justice.
    Attached Images Attached Images