Thread: Fireplace Mantel/Cabinet Build (Pricing?)

Fireplace Mantel/Cabinet Build (Pricing?)

Hello folks! I am sorry for not being around here more often! Hopefully I can fix that, from here on out! I'm excited to get to constructing my next project for my latest client. But I'm curious to know what you would charge to build this cabinet piece? I'm thinking materials could be close to around $500. Does that seem right? I posted 3 photos of the current fireplace.. I will be spray finishing the cabinet myself, as well as installing. I don't need anything crazy accurate... just a ball park! I can't wait to keep you all updated with this piece!

Fireplace2.jpgFireplace3.jpgFireplace1.jpgMantel design finished 1.jpgMantel design finished 2.jpgMantel design finished 3.jpgMantel design finished 4.jpgmantel3.jpg

What do you think of the design?
    Can't wait to hear from you guys!
    Levi
    -Hands Made For Wood
    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength"

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HandsMadeForWood

A lot.
    Take what you think is fair and double it.

I feel, like I would charge $2,000 materials in.. Does that sound right?

Levi
    -Hands Made For Wood

Sometimes after you build what the customer asked for they don't want to pay for it because they finally realize their design is awful. If you build that ,get all your money up front. Sticks out from the wall way too far. Looks too much like the expensive "entertainment centers" now flooding yard sales.If they need that much storage space ,find it somewhere else in the house. Sell them two good units.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Sometimes after you build what the customer asked for they don't want to pay for it because they finally realize their design is awful. If you build that ,get all your money up front. Sticks out from the wall way too far. Looks too much like the expensive "entertainment centers" now flooding yard sales.If they need that much storage space ,find it somewhere else in the house. Sell them two good units.
    I can get the hint that you don't like my design... But I also know my client, and what they want. They have both made it clear that they love the design.
    -Hands Made For Wood

Hi Levi,
    I can't help much with the pricing as that's fairly unique to each individual but a few comments on the design...

Given that it's a stone veneer fireplace, there will be alot of intricate scribing on three sides of the mantle, along with accounting for the gaps that will exist at the top for the crown molding. Hopefully, the stone is of consistent thickness and within the same plane across the width of the fireplace but you'll still have recesses at the grout lines. It might be something you can discuss with the client ahead of time as well since a perfect fit might not be achievable--caulk will be your friend here but kept to a minimum. Just something to consider in the pricing, both time and materials.

On the wood burning fireplace, there may be local restrictions on the proximity of a mantle to the surrounding fireplace, in addition to the type of materials used. Heat will obviously radiate from the fireplace so particularly on a painted finish, you want to ensure you don't end up with a maintenance nightmare of paint peeling, etc.
    Last edited by Brett Bobo; 11-21-2012 at 5:17 PM.

Brett is certainly right about the heat and code concerns. I know you have to have eight inches of masonry all around fire box for one inch of wood projection. We have made things we knew were not right because they wanted it so; but only after getting them to sign a statement saying our company would not be responsible for the violation. Accommodating code concerns and fitting around stone will require some substantial changes. Any member here who does this work for a living would tell you to protect yourself. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Bobo View Post
    Hi Levi,
    I can't help much with the pricing as that's fairly unique to each individual but a few comments on the design...

Given that it's a stone veneer fireplace, there will be alot of intricate scribing on three sides of the mantle, along with accounting for the gaps that will exist at the top for the crown molding. Hopefully, the stone is of consistent thickness and within the same plane across the width of the fireplace but you'll still have recesses at the grout lines. It might be something you can discuss with the client ahead of time as well since a perfect fit might not be achievable--caulk will be your friend here but kept to a minimum. Just something to consider in the pricing, both time and materials.

On the wood burning fireplace, there may be local restrictions on the proximity of a mantle to the surround fireplace, in addition to the type of materials used. Heat will obviously radiate from the fireplace so particularly on a painted finish, you want to ensure you don't end up with a maintenance nightmare of paint peeling, etc.

I appreciate both of your input and advice! To answer the first concern.. I will be building the cabinets, crown, and mantel first. Next, I am installing a foam stack stone product, that will than butt up against the surface of the mantel and the top crown. I hope that makes sense. As for the code concerns. The client checked about getting a gas fireplace, but there was a code referring to the mantel needing to be a certain height above the fireplace, which can't be done in this case. When I asked about the electric fireplace, he said that is no problem at all in regard to code. I will definitely get them to sign something, just in case. I do know there obviously will be some heat on the surface of certain areas.. what would you suggest for a clear coat? Would polyurathane protect it? It really is not much a of a heat-bearing fireplace. It's more just for looks.

Thanks again for your help guys!
    Levi
    -Hands Made For Wood

Photo 3 shows a window or door adjacent to the existing fireplace; my concern is the planned unit will encroach upon that opening as well as the one on the right side too.

I agree with the concerns about the depth. Your clients might not have the ability to think 3 dimensionally or visually. I would strongly urge a cardboard mock-up . . . even a rough one is cheap, fast and gives the clients a reference scale. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Durston;2008357 [COLOR=#000000
    But I'm curious to know what you would charge to build this cabinet piece? I'm thinking materials could be close to around $500.

I don't need anything crazy accurate... just a ball park!
    [/COLOR]

Levi

My not too crazy ball park estimate is $ 4,800.00 and perhaps as much as $ 6,300.00 This is based on your materials estimate and factoring - design, construction, finish, delivery and install. If you can do all that work in 3 weeks, or 120 hours, that will be a good accomplishment. Even at $ 36.00 per hour you will be in the $ 4,800.00 price range but $ 40 to $ 43 per hour is a more realistic rate and I think 120 hours is too close of an estimate. Are those drawers in the 2 base corners? Delivery and install alone could take the better part of 3 days unless you really plan the assembly. If you are applying a good paint there should be no reason or advantage to clear coat over that.

I'll leave the design discussion to others but I agree that a cardboard mock up might be a very good piece of insurance so that your client's truly appreciate the way such a unit will change the room. Even if they love the design if this is new ground for them (and for you), i.e. having a custom piece made, a mock up will be time well spent.

A zero clearance gas fireplace could easily be fitted nicely within your design with minor tweaking to accommodate the manufacturer's specifications, though I guess they have decided on an electric unit. You need to factor in a bit of time coordinating with the electrician or gas sub too. I'm always surprised how NOT obvious some of the detailing is required to make this kind of project work properly.

Have fun with it. Don't let me scare you it looks like a great project.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge