Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water softeners

Water softeners

Hi all,

In the aftermath of the recent hurricane, had some problems with the water system. Water pump is OK. But the reserve tank ran empty a few times, and sediment got into the small places, faucet screens etc.
    Local plumber was here yesterday.
    Fixed that stuff.
    I do expect more power outages in upcoming years. The trees are much bigger than they were years ago, and just getting bigger.

The plumber recommends
    1) sediment filter (sounds like a winner @ $300)
    2) water softener. We do have hard water. Some white lime on the faucets.
    But expected installed price $1500 + $200 /year for salt seems a lot.
    In 10 years cost of the salt is $2K. I can replace all the faucets, valves and water heater for less than that.

Or am I missing something. Soft water is really the way to go, (don't worry about the cost) and I just don't understand.

Happy Thanksgiving!

The salt shouldn't cost that much. The new water softeners are pretty stingy on salt. I only fill mine about twice a year and I have it at a pretty high level.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

how many years will the water heater and valves last ?

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    how many years will the water heater and valves last ?
    Most of the faucets are over 10 years.
    Current water heater is 15 years.

3 bags of salt a month would not be unusual with some types of water softeners with a family. I would highly recommend a softener if you have hard water. If my softener isn't working everything gets covered in iron and mineral deposits.

Blog Entries
    I don't like the taste of softened water nor do I like the slimy feeling while showering in completely softened water, but having soft water for the dishwasher is important so I just run the feed to my hot water heater with soft water. That way I get a mix in the shower, I get unsoftened water for drinking cold water from the faucet and I get soft water for the dishwasher. I just need to run the softwater feed to the cold water in the laundry room. At least I have been telling muself that for 25 years. Salt usage is down because only the volume of water run through the water heater is softened. Bonus is that the scale in the water heater is way down.

My house was plumbed with the kitchen sink cold water, ice maker, and outside faucets all having unsoftened water.

Blog Entries
    If you get a softener, make sure the recycle timer works on the number of gallons used instead of how many days between cycles. We changed ours over to a use timer and have been amazed at how much less salt we use, yet when the whole family is home and we use lots of water, we still get soft water.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The amount of salt that you use is a function of your water hardness and water usage. You also need to take into consideration what else is in your water. The softener can remove some iron but you will need to use a salt that will remove the iron oxide from the softener media.

In my case, I have high hardness, high iron and sulfur in the water. I am using a air induction filter before the softener which removes the iron and sulfur and also any sediment. It does not use any chemicals but just uses air to oxidize the iron and sulfur and then the filter takes it out. The system back washes itself every night to get the oxides out.

Before I considered what system to put in, I would get a good chemical analysis of the incoming water so that you know what equipment you need. I do not trust most of the people who sell softeners but I found one that has sold and serviced my equipment for 25 years. It is great find someone that you trust and can help you deal with problems that come up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The amount of salt that you use is a function of your water hardness and water usage. You also need to take into consideration what else is in your water. The softener can remove some iron but you will need to use a salt that will remove the iron oxide from the softener media.

True, but some of the recharge timers work on days of use, not how much water was used. The installer determines from a chart how much water a family of a given size uses over what period of time and water hardness then sets the timer to recharge every so many days. That type of timer will recharge the system even if no water is used. We used to go through 50# of salt per month until we got our new timer with a gallon meter. Now it recharges at night after the gallon setting has been used. Our water is more uniformly soft and our salt usage is down to less than 50# every 4-5 months with exactly the same resin bed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    True, but some of the recharge timers work on days of use, not how much water was used. The installer determines from a chart how much water a family of a given size uses over what period of time and water hardness then sets the timer to recharge every so many days. That type of timer will recharge the system even if no water is used. We used to go through 50# of salt per month until we got our new timer with a gallon meter. Now it recharges at night after the gallon setting has been used. Our water is more uniformly soft and our salt usage is down to less than 50# every 4-5 months with exactly the same resin bed.
    I had the same issue with my Water Boss softener. I was going through salt like crazy because it was regenerating I think every three days. I was able to switch to regenerating based on gallons used and my salt usage dropped quite a bit.

Kinetico softeners measure water usage automatically. No need for a timer, or other contraption.

Consider installing what you need yourself for WAY less money...

Call http://www.ohiopurewater.com and talk to them, they can recommend what you need.

No affiliation with them, just bought what was needed for my son's house from them...
    They advised what we needed and verified it with health dept when had water tested for purity.

And yes, definitely get a system based on water usage, not set timers..

As info, the price estimates from the big name water softener companies were $3000 and up..
    Bought & installed it ourselves for less than $800 and works great..

Buy a Kinetico and be done, we only use 12 bags of salt a year for a family of five. Only install the water softener on the hot water.

If your water heater is 15 years old, I would replace it soon.
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I had the same issue with my Water Boss softener. I was going through salt like crazy because it was regenerating I think every three days. I was able to switch to regenerating based on gallons used and my salt usage dropped quite a bit.
    Ours did the same thing. We have to watch after a power interruption. Apparently Water Boss softeners are prone to not retaining its settings after power failure as they age. Ours defaults to regenerate every 96 hours instead of every 400 gallons.