Thread: Its been a while

Blog Entries

Smile Its been a while

I finally got pictures off the camera and re-sized to share. Funny thing is, I didn't keep any of these. The small ash "catch-all" was for a guy in our model shop at work that gave me some wood. The elm was a first attempt at a large platter. It was originally 16in dia when I first turned it. The blank had been cut and sitting in my garage storage for about 2 years prior to turning. I thought it would be safe to rough turn a bit thinner... WRONG. Oh well after truing it and turning off the rim I wound up with a nicely shaped 11in bowl. This was to be for a lady at work that won a Christmas gift exchange last year. I was in the process of tearing down my old shop, getting ready to move to a new home. I was kicking myself for not leaving enough to true the platter up and the size was not large enough to be a display platter/table centerpiece so out to the wood pile I went and got a piece of walnut that I had just received from a friends contact at a tree service. The walnut NE was turned in an afternoon and it was really moving when I was cutting the center out making it difficult to get a fair curve on the inside. It has about a 1/4in wall finished with seal-a-cell and rattle can lacquer. When I presented the lady the elm and walnut bowls and told her about the fun I had making them, she wanted them both.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great stuff Brent!! I drawn to the walnut over and over again...finish is very nice!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Great pieces Brent. I also am drawn to the walnut.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work Brent! Great job on the Walnut NE! I really like the small Ash bowl. Good looking grain and form!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I love the form on that ash. That's just about perfect.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum