Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estate Sale Turning Trade

I see that the waiting list to be one of Baxter's sons is clogged up with Mike and Jim.

So........I'll use another strategy. Are you looking for a house and lathe tools in Oregon??? There's one for sale next door!

Glad you enjoyed the story. I hoped it would be of interest. Although I picked up the lathe in early July, I wanted to wait until the final chapter was written before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    .... There are so many artists out there that are unknown until someone gets a piece of their work and exposes it to another crowd of people. Ususlly, they die before they get get recognised for thier work. I tried to sound intelligent, but maybe not...... Hehe
    I like how he painted the forms. It looks a lot like the balck on white pottery found in the Four Corners area of the Southwest.... ........... Jerry
    You are not the only one who feels that way Jerry!
    Drawings in Space Dedication.jpg

The turnings are unfinished. They are Maine poplar which is quite light. They were then burned. Since I have the lathe along with the burner he built and used, I thought it would be very neat to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Great story Bax. Jerry is correct about all the wonderful artists that never really get discovered. I believe you are fortunate to have pieces of the gentleman's work. Maybe I missed something but did you buy the lathe? It looks like a beauty.
    faust
    Faust, the last picture above was taken here in my Delaware shop. I brought it home(Maine) the afternoon I went to look at it.
    3520B On trailer.jpg
    3520B on Hoist.jpg
    Unloading it late in Delaware was easier.
    2 Unloading.jpg
    3 Unloading.jpg

It was pretty much in mint condition..
    Powermatic 3520B.jpg

I am working hard on fixing that.

Quote Originally Posted by mike ash View Post
    ........ Are you looking for a house and lathe tools in Oregon??? There's one for sale next door!
    Mike, I spent the summer in Beaverton about 30 years ago and loved it there. Family ties here were just too strong.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

See, Mike? Family ties... he just can't leave me! I'm going to be his next son, for sure...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mike ash View Post
    I see that the waiting list to be one of Baxter's sons is clogged up with Mike and Jim.

So........I'll use another strategy. Are you looking for a house and lathe tools in Oregon??? There's one for sale next door!
    Hang on Mike!!! If there is a good hospital in the area, we are looking to head north...and I have 2 lathes!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Jim - You come on north. I guarantee we'll find you a hospital. Bring Mike and Baxter and we'll even find some wood to turn (yes Mike, there are some breweries here too).

Heck, I could load up my 20 foot flat bed trailer and truck bed with as much wood as I could fit on it, and we'd all be set for some time! Heck, I could have just brought this!SANY0366 (Large) - Copy.jpgSANY0373 (Large).jpgSANY0374 (Large) - Copy.jpgSANY0379 (Large).JPG

Oh, no, sorry, I can't...most of that is gone, and I'm still turning the rest...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Baxter, I guess you've been a good boy. Santa treated you nice, early. The story that goes along with that is priceless. I'd say that lathe has some good mojo.

Your grandkids will be on ANTIQUES ROADSHOW with a 7.8 million dollar appraisal