Thread: Cherry Tall Chest of Drawers

Cherry Tall Chest of Drawers

Finally finished after 3+ years. I built this dresser after getting frustrated with the shallow drawers in today's furniture. I like having a couple of deep drawers to put pants, sweatshirts, and sweaters in. It is based on a dresser in Bill Hylton's Chests of Drawers book. I am actually in the process of designing a matching Low Chest of Drawers to complete the set. Knowing what I know now, if I were to build it again I think I would do a couple of things differently. This dresser is for myself and kept getting put on the back burner. I think it sat for about 1 1/2 yrs fully constructred waiting to be finished. I had surgery 2 yrs ago, and during my recouperation I couldn't do any heavy lifting so I hand cut all the dovetails for the back of the drawers. It's amazing to see my progress as the drawers went on. The drawer fronts were all rabbeted half blind dovetails that I did on my Leigh Jig. The primary wood is Cherry and the secondary is Maple. I finished it with Amber Shellac and Target's EM6000. Boy does the EM6000 spray beautifully. The bracket feet I purchased from Matthew Burack, because at the time I started this I had niether the confidence, nor the knowledge to make them myself. The pulls are from Horton Brasses. Thanks to everyone for the knowledge I have gained from this site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful workmanship.

That looks darn nice!
    Is the face of the bottom drawer a different wood or finish?

Tim

Tim,
    No that bottom drawer is actually cherry like the rest. The difference isn't as noticeable in person. I wanted 1 piece drawer fronts and tried to color match as best I could, but that one is just a little lighter than the others. Hopefully it evens out over time. If not Oh Well. Thanks for the comments.
    Bob

Good job Robert, you have a very nice looking chest of drawers.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Robert,

Your chest of drawers looks great. It is nice that you could make the drawer size, to meet your needs. I like the frame and panel sides. That really makes it a high end custom chest of drawers. I also think that using maple for your secondary wood was a good decision. What did you do for the back?

Great job, Sam
    Last edited by Sam Layton; 11-20-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Sam,
    I used ship-lapped maple boards. I thought about using plywood just to get it done but I didn't use any plywood anywhere else in the project. So I bit the bullet and milled up the maple boards.

Bob

Robert, very nice job on your chest of drawers! From what I can see in the picture you also did a great job finishing your project, the cherry looks great.
    I also have Bill Hylton's book, and think it one of the best books on the subject.

Be sure to share your matching low chest with us, I look forward to seeing it.

Robert,

You did a first class job. Using the maple ship-lap boards, in my opinion, is what a fine custom chest of drawers calls for. I think it is time and money well spent.

Sam