Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckeye Burl

Buckeye Burl

After recently successfully completing an exercise in advanced funnel making, I decided to give it another shot. Fortunately, no funnel this time. Buckeye Burl on Burmese Blackwood with General Woodturners Finish. 10"H x 3.5"D. This is my first piece of this type and I welcome any critiques and suggestions for improvement.

IMGP5504-002.JPG
    Dick Mahany.

Simply Outstanding !!

Well done.

Tim

First Dick, the combination is beautiful!! I'm gonna go with a bigger foot...the size 12 makes it top heavy with the size 2 shoe...so to speak. I'm still drawn to stem material...really cool!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Delicate top. Beautiful wood combination. Second Jim's comments. I would have felt very good to have done this one!
    C&C WELCOME

After recently successfully completing an exercise in advanced funnel making,
    Love it, I think I saw you at the advanced class.

What great piece, so much so I wished I had turned it. No critique love it the way it is.
    neil

The wooden Potter

Great job Dick. Proportions look nice, flows well and not too tippy at all. Love the contrast of shades in the BEB, one of my favorite of woods to turn. Always a nice surprise (so far) when the finish goes on.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

[QUOTE=Dick Mahany;2006891]After recently successfully completing an exercise in advanced funnel making,

I like that, and I've excelled at that exercise! Great piece and hope to see more.

It is beautiful and the wood is very pretty,the combo of the top and stem are great. But I'm with Jim B I think the base is a tad small,sort of out of proportion with the top.
    Just my $.02 and I'm no artist
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Like the piece Dick. The top is very nice wood and oh so thin. Nice. Remember that once you can no longer make funnels is when you will need one.

now isn't this just plain pretty. Great wood & colors. Yep the base could have been a tad bigger, but you can always glue on another piece and turn, to widen the base if you wish. This belongs on your braggin' shelf.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Great work and Im a BIG BE burl fan so it goes one step further in prase!

A zillion options available with a design of this type. You can vary the base and stem elements in many ways, but my preference at the point where stem meets body of the vase is to blend them together without interruption of the flow of the curve.

Thanks to all for the kind comments and helpful suggestions for improvement. Several of you suggested a wider base. In fact when I first sketched what I had in mind, I did have a wider foot planned, but the turning stock wouldn't allow anything wider. I like Michelle's idea of gluing on an additional piece to the foot and returning it. I just may try that !

I also like the idea of flowing the form continuously from the upper part to the stem, but I am still very challenged at turning graceful flowing curves, and hope they will come more naturally with practice.
    Dick Mahany.

Looks great Dick! I like the natural edge and it looks like you got it very thin! Great looking wood too! I picked up some buckeye burl at the symposium in San Jose, but haven't gotten around to turning any yet.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I'm no artist, but I'm going to go along with the crowd and saying a larger diameter base, but also a thinner rim on the base. I think the taper from the top of the base to the bottom of the plumb bob thingie would look better as a concave curve. I also think Jamie is right about the transition from stem to cup, but what you did doesn't hurt my eyes at all.

The cup itself is gorgeous, both form and wood. It's a great piece and I'm glad I got to see it.