Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christian Tool Cabinet Complete!!!!

Christian Tool Cabinet Complete!!!!

Worked on this since March and I am finally calling it done. There are things that can be done still, but it holds everything I need for now. I am really not posting this to gloat, I am posting because I suspect the pictures could help others who plan to build a tool cabinet. I stole almost every idea here. Invent nothing, right?

The cabinet is 40inx30x16 and it holds all the hand tools that I use regularly. I think I am really going to enjoy working out of it. I would like to thank others on this forum who have taken time to post pictures of their cabinets because they were all really helpful in the design process.

It is funny to me that the initial "inspiration" came from the Anarchists Tool Chest. This cabinet is the complete opposite in some ways, but similar in function. I may not agree with all of Chris S. views, but I like his take on woodworking. (I vote and love going to church)

Anyway, If you have any questions, just post and I will try to answer them. Here are the pictures of the plane hangers and chisel rack and file rack.

See here for pervious posts of the build progress, if interested.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...her&highlight=
    Attached Images Attached Images
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Next up, picture of the sawmill (hanging on a french cleat), and the empty cabinet with the middle door on the left and right.
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...

Here is a shot of the "inlay" I used. It was my first attempt at inlay. It is 1/8" square walnut and maple ordered from inlay banding.com Great place. the stuff was really 1st quality. Also a picture of my bench with all the tools that go in the cabinet and a shot with the doors closed. I used a heavy brass latch to close it and it works great.

Here is the money shot. The "full" cabinet. I actually still have plenty of room to add more tools that I "need", like the new LV screwdrivers. The three pictures have the middle door open to each side, then out in the middle.

I think it is worth noting that I put a lot of time into design and planning this cabinet. More time by far than any other project. I arranged the tools to fit the space and to be grouped by usage. Layout tools that I used most often are at my left (dominant) hand when standing at the bench, chisels are too. Large scale layout tools are on the right door (never covered). I position the 3rd door so I either have access to bench planes and all tools for "shaping" wood or joinery tools on the other side.

I'm no HO Studley, but I'm pretty excited about using this cabinet.

Turned out very nice.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy seeing tool holding solutions.

Very nice cabinet! I am a wee bit confused though...What makes a "Christian Cabinet"? Is is something so obvious I am missing it? lol! Sorry... Serious question...

Nicely done Bob. Great job of planning the tool layout also. I built one within the past year and still haven't figured out all the spaces yet.

Good for you. A great cabinet and especially nice piece of work. You have built yourself a wonderfully useful tool and a family heirloom too!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Bob, great job on the cabinet. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine!

Great work!!! Be careful of those black "ropes" if they are elastic. They will rot and let go someday if there's latex or rubber in them. I can't tell what they are.

Very nice Bob - well laid out - not too crowded - large capacity - zero floor footprint - minimal wall footprint, and good looking! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    Very nice cabinet! I am a wee bit confused though...What makes a "Christian Cabinet"? Is is something so obvious I am missing it? lol! Sorry... Serious question...
    My interpretation is the title is a nod to CS's Naming his "The Anarchist's Tool Chest". Both titles reflect more on the mindset of the builder than they necessarily do on the specifics of the (fine) work itself.

David Myers got the name mostly right. In addition, when the doors are shut you can see a cross. The shakers used something similar and called them Christian Cabinet doors.

George - good call. No rubber in the strings. They are heavy duty boot laces. I was a bit nervous at first, but they are doing well. Thanks for the kind words.