Thread: First Project on the New Lathe (WIP)

First Project on the New Lathe (WIP)

This is my first turning on the new lathe, and the first in 6 or so months. This is one of the blocks of maple burl that came with the lathe, unfortunately, the bottom 1/4 was too far gone. Here is the initial shape I'm going with, 7.5" x 11'ish. You can see the "gap bed". The gap can either be shortened or lengthened by the crank at the head stock end. The second pic shows the steady and the smaller of the two hollowing systems that came with the lathe.
    Refined Shape.jpgSteady and SM Hollower.jpg
    I like this lathe a lot. I still need to add the sand to the head stock, but didn't notice when I was roughing out this out of balance blank. I'm not a huge fan of the banjo yet. I was watching Lyle Jamiesons channel on YouTube and noticed he had a Oneway banjo, so may look at that in the future.

Comments and criticism on the form greatly appreciated.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nate - too early to comment on the form at this point because you have a ways to go before you are finished. So far - so good. Just have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing the finished HF!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve, I left the bottom heavy for the hollowing.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Figured as much... the important thing is that you have your lathe and are finally turning again! Enjoy it!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks like a great start Nate! Have fun with your new lathe!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

After 6 months I can only imagine how happy you are to be making shavings again. Now go have fun with the new lathe. By the way, nice hollow form.

Glad to see the new lathe up and running Nate. I think your going to have a ball with this little lathe you bought.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Nate, that looks great. Can't wait to see it finished, but what a great start. How's the speed range on that lathe anyway? I know there are lots of variation in the configurations of these lathes. That steady sure looks capable of some serious turning.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Tim,

The data plate says 185rpm-2275rpm. I looked at the pics of Anatoly's lathe, and he has some significantly larger pulleys than mine. The steady is really stout. When I built my steady rest there in NC, I spaced the arms equidistant around the steady. This steady has the arms toward the left side of the hollow form which makes sense to me as that is where the force goes.

Thanks all for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Davey View Post
    Tim,

The data plate says 185rpm-2275rpm. I looked at the pics of Anatoly's lathe, and he has some significantly larger pulleys than mine.
    Yea, but high speed for him is 200 rpm.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Good for you to have that new toy up and turning. Very cool lathe, look forward to seeing the finished form.

Nate - I've been in the road for past 3 weeks and hadn't picked up on the Nichols lathe!!! I'm impressed and jealous at the same time. How about some max swing info? I'm interested in how big a piece of cactus or mesquite you can hook up to that beast!!

Good Luck, Mike Ash

Mike,

It's nice to hear from you. Over the gap bed I can do 46" and over the ways about 28". Total spindle length 78". Now I need to get some bigger tools. I 5/8" bowl gouge could take a while to get something roughed out.

Nate what lathe did you end up getting? I've looked back over older threads and couldn't find what you ended up with.

Craig, A Nichols lathe