Thread: Got into some cool/odd walnut today

Got into some cool/odd walnut today

Kinda weird lookin'. The biggest bowl on the left there is about 16.5" for reference.

Nice! That's some gorgeous walnut.
    David DeCristoforo

I agree with David - that is some great looking wood! Nice work on all the bowls!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I don't believe that I've ever seen walnut that fine. Your bowls really show it off.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Oh wow, those are going to be gorgeous..........that must have been an old tree.........
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Looks like some spalting in play, but still sound enough to turn. Just be careful about stressing tenons should you need to turn any large blanks.

Awesome walnut! Those are going to be some fantastic looking bowls!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Wow that is some beautiful walnut. That wood has a lot going on. Bowls are going to be beautiful.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Gorgeous! I've never seen Walnut with color like that...
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

The last load of Walnut that I got a few months ago had color that looked exactly like yours. I can't wait for my blanks to dry so I can finish turn them. Nice score Jeremy.

That certainly is beautiful wood, and the bowls look great. I've gotta ask...Are you SURE it is walnut. I, too, have never seen walnut like that. And with everyone saying that they haven't seen walnut like that, I'm leaning towards it beings something else. Not sure if that piece with the bark still on it in the background is the same tree...that doesn't look like walnut bark to me at all. Either way, though, purdy stuff!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    That certainly is beautiful wood, and the bowls look great. I've gotta ask...Are you SURE it is walnut. I, too, have never seen walnut like that. And with everyone saying that they haven't seen walnut like that, I'm leaning towards it beings something else. Not sure if that piece with the bark still on it in the background is the same tree...that doesn't look like walnut bark to me at all. Either way, though, purdy stuff!
    Oh yeah, 100% on it being walnut. Smell, feel, black stained fingers (hello lemons) rust all over everything Plus some parts of the tree look like normal walnut. The bowls look a bit different today after having some more air exposure.

Fresh cut walnut is kinda weird looking normally. It's fun to watch the color change over a few hours.

Edit: That piece in the background is a hunk of cherry with rotten heartwood
    Last edited by Jeremy Leasure; 11-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Jeremy,
    Heck of a stash. Also a great job of centering the grain in the bowls. It just adds a lot more class to the turning.
    Way south of most everybody...

Nice score. The marbling of the grain will disappear as the wood dries out. Fresh cut Black Walnut is often a yellowish green color which darkens as the wood dries out to the characteristic "walnut" color. I have seen this many times, and it always darkens. Regardless of the color, the CURL is fantastic! Great wood gloat!!