Thread: Popular Wrench Fights Chinese Rival

Popular Wrench Fights Chinese Rival

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/popula...21.html?page=1

Would have expect better from Craftsman.

Its not just Craftsman. Sellers leading us to believe stuff is made in the USA when its isn't is far more common than most people realize. Often, the company name on the package is just a USA distributor, or packager of Chinese made products.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Its not just Craftsman. Sellers leading us to believe stuff is made in the USA when its isn't is far more common than most people realize. Often, the company name on the package is just a USA distributor, or packager of Chinese made products.

John
    It's the fact that they copied his idea, before the patent expired. Besides the US made one and the Chinese Craftsman wrench at 8 inches are both $19.99 on the Sears site.

A design patent is concerned with the appearance of the invention, including the way it looks and how it is ornamented. A utility patent covers the use of the invention and how it functions. A utility patent currently lasts for 20 years (from the date of application), while a design patent has a lifespan of 14 years (from the date of approval). For patents granted before June 8, 1995, the term of patent is 20 years from the filing date or 17 years from the grant of patent by the patent office, whichever is later.

The last time I checked the Craftsman sockets and wrenches were still made in the USA. Quite a few of the other Craftsman hand tools are made in China. They aren't trying to hide it as it is right on the packaging. Sears also has the Craftsman Evolv tools that have a lifetime warranty, but only with receipt.

Kobalt mechanics tools from Lowes used to be made in the USA, but they were switched to Taiwan about two years ago. It is getting harder to buy mechanics tools made in the USA unless you buy Snap-On or other big bucks brands.

Why surprising? I remember this from when I was a kid, which was one of the larger patent awards at the time.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5000,3342125

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    They aren't trying to hide it as it is right on the packaging.
    Well, they don't really have a choice. Lowes used to be a good place to shop, but it's mostly overpriced junk now. Same with Home Depot. Sears was a later holdout with most of the tools being US made, but they dropped the quality of the US made tools gradually and now they are sourcing junk. I used to shop at sears pretty much as a default for tools, but no longer. I probably don't go in there more than once every two years.

Sears must've decided that:
    1) they didn't like the price negotiations with the patent holder
    2) the patent holder wouldn't have enough money to actually defend their patent

I'm sure (or sure of my opinion that is) their internal counsel and finance departments have figured out they do better if they screw their suppliers and make hundreds of millions to have to pay out a couple tens of millions from time to time. Better than they would if they just did honest business and sourced from the patent holders without trying to be creeps, and just priced at cost plus %.

Blog Entries
    So how many people would buy the wrench at $20 and not $25? It's one thing to outsource a hammer to make a few bucks more, but to outright steal a man's livelihood built on such a unique patened tool is another matter. Shame on Sears.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    So how many people would buy the wrench at $20 and not $25? It's one thing to outsource a hammer to make a few bucks more, but to outright steal a man's livelihood built on such a unique patened tool is another matter. Shame on Sears.
    I think it is more about how much money Sears makes. Outsourcing to China likely cuts the cost of goods by 50% at minimum. Even at $5 less at retail Sears probably makes a higher margin on the item sourced from China.

I bought a 3/4" drive impact socket last year. I purposely only looked at sockets made in the USA. That one socket ended up costing at least $30. I spent about 50% more than an import would have cost. Wright Tool makes all their tools in the USA using USA made parts. They even buy only American made steel. Of course, Wright tools are not cheap.

Blog Entries
    I think it is more about how much money Sears makes. Outsourcing to China likely cuts the cost of goods by 50% at minimum. Even at $5 less at retail Sears probably makes a higher margin on the item sourced from China.
    The old adage: It's all about the money. Sad but true.

Brian,
    I use to do a lot of business with a large local Welding supply who carried Wright tools. I purchased the largest set they offered at the time. While I've added a few Craftsman U.S. made tools through the years, the Wright Tool Co. have done themselves proud. I did break (1) deep 15/16", 1/2" drive socket and plain worn out (1) 1/2" drive, 3/4" socket since I purchased the set. Both were replaced FOC. BTW, I bought the Wright Tool set in 1973.........40 years ago this February.

Mac

Wright Tool makes all their tools in the USA using USA made parts. They even buy only American made steel. Of course, Wright tools are not cheap.
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 11-10-2012 at 10:00 PM.