Thread: interior lighting options

interior lighting options

We are building a new house and have looked at specialty lighting stores as well as the big boxes for the interior lighting fixtures and recessed cans. Has anyone found a good website for lighting fixtures or 5" cans, we have 30+ planned and would buy in bulk)?

Any brands of recessed cans that you have had success with? Halo? Juno? Others?

Brands or types of under cabinet lighting? LED vs Xenon or florescent ?

We are trying to find decent quality fixtures without blowing the electrical budget. I appreciate any input and insight.

Jeff

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Blog Entries
    Unless you're looking for something specific, I'd just go to Home Depot or Lowe's... They have a few 5" cans, I have picked up 6" cans in contractor's packs before. They have an okay selection of trim rings, too... picked up some nice brushed bronze ones for the basement.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

For your undercabinet lighting I would look at the Hafele website and look at the LOOX 24 volt LED strip lighting with an aluminum extrusion that can either be surface mounted or recessed. http://www.hafele.com/us/products/LO...or-cabinet.asp These are a little harder to install, you have to make sure you have the right drivers, but they save a ton of money in energy over halogen or xenon and are very cool compared to the hot halogen and will last a lot longer. If you need more info I would be glad to provide the links to the actual parts I recommend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

For LED light fixtures you really want to see the light before buying. There are all different colors of light from LED and you may not like the light. Home Depot currently has some LED recessed lights for $26 or $27 that people are saying are really good.

These look great..Wife approved! Thanks for the insight!

to never take lightly.

We purchased a bunch of Sylvania cans that have the integrated LED. It was either at Lowes or at HD. In other words, no bulb to change, you just install the whole can as a single unit. Not inexpensive but seem to be of very high quality and will last forever (my primary reason for paying the $$$ up front...) and are also cheap to operate. Dimmable, as well.

Best of luck with your remodel.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

As for under cabinet lighting see my post here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nd-that-is-not Mine is the last post.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thank you everyone for the ideas!

Jeff

to never take lightly.