Thread: cleaning plastic

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

cleaning plastic

I'm mostly up and running on my Artsign JSM3060N. I've already done several jobs, with good results, but I have a questions on how to further improve my engravings.

1) Post engraving cleaning - I have a big job coming up and the customer wants to use a black engraving to white laminate plastic (IPI plastics from Johnson). I'm having a of time cleaning the plates after engraving. Some of the ablated material (flash, I think it is called) is redeposited on the surface after engraving. This leaves black dirt/dust sitting in the engraving in some spots. Getting rid of it all is a . I've been using Johnson Plastics LAZRclean, followed by scrubbing with Goo Gone, but it is really time consuming. Does anyone have any other post-engraving clean up suggestions?

I should also mention that I use a low tack masking tape over the surface prior to scanning.

2) I'm having issues with horizontal line sharpness when scanning. A lot of the panels I do have boxes set around text. The text comes out great, but there is a waviness to horizontal lines. (See picture) Anyone have a tips on tightening up horizontal lines to have the same definition and crispness of vertical lines? See attached picture (As a point of reference, the default for my machine is to scan the laser head on the shorter Y-axis):

IMG_4380.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mike Null; 11-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.