Thread: wire on the ground.

wire on the ground.

Here in NW NJ, plenty of electric still on the ground.
    Kind of what systems guys call "denial of service"
    Anyway, there's one in my yard, on the grass.
    I happened to be looking out the window last Mondayt when it broke, a full shower of sparks.
    Called JCP&L that afternoon.
    They pretty much said "don't call us, we'll call you"
    Nobody stopped by to look at it.
    Since the power is off at my house, does that mean that the line is completely dead??

I don't have any interest in touching the power line,
    but I do have that Irish Setter.
    Usually I let him out at night by himself, he comes right back.
    but with that line on the ground, not certain what is going on with that.
    Have to keep him on a leash right now. Probably be going on like this another week.

Any electricians out there, have facts about downed power lines?

thanks

tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
    Since the power is off at my house, does that mean that the line is completely dead??
    No, it does not.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Tom,

Don't you, the dog, or anyone go anywhere near that thing! You can never assume that it is not live. If it is a primary feeder, it is a minimum of 2400 volts. Even if it is dead now, it could reconnect at any time. 2400 plus volts can and will arc a great distance, especially when it is surrounded by damp air and lawn. It could also begin whipping around if it re-energizes. I know its a pain, but please my friend... give it a very wide berth! Use the other side of the house to water the dog.

Power restoration is based on getting power to critical users like hospitals first. After that the priority goes to getting the largest number of customers online first. They have to fix the substations and high tension lines first. No point in fixing the line in front of your house if there is nothing to feed that line in front of your house.

If the line from your house to the street is broken you will be way down the list to get power back.

Don't touch the line as others have said! Last year I was at a Scout camp helping to get it open for summer camp. A tree fell across a road overnight and I was helping to remove it. I came across this length of steel wire and not knowing I moved it off the road. That wire was actually a downed power line the tree had taken out. It was 2000+ volts, but luckily a fuse upstream had blown when the lines came down. The power company came out that afternoon and fixed the line.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 11-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Yeah, don't touch it!!!

Also....I just passed a convoy of military fuel trucks on the PA turnpike. They should be in NY/NJ in about 2 hours

the internet news today include a story about a preteen touching a line down but not dead and this child are lucky to survive

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Power restoration is based on getting power to critical users like hospitals first. After that the priority goes to getting the largest number of customers online first. They have to fix the substations and high tension lines first. No point in fixing the line in front of your house if there is nothing to feed that line in front of your house.
    <snip>
    Yup, I recommend a house on same lines as banks and shopping centers .

Blog Entries
    If you're concerned, let the local police know there is a downed line, the power company is ignoring you, and you're concerned someone may get hurt.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5