Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Wooden Screws

Thanks so much for all the info. I wouldnt have tried this if I hadnt seen the youtube video where it looks so easy. Considering the cost of a set of these, I'd rather spend the time, and learn the technique than outsourse if I dont have to. Thanks again.

The Mr. Carter one is pretty good, I didn't quite get Roy's passage in the book, but after seeing the stuff on youtube it made a lot more sense, he's got a few things that I'd change, flats at the sharp points of the threadform for one thing. The Nut blank is at work waiting for my project's on commission to finish up, then I'll be back to it.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I think those large diameter wooden screws are pretty reasonably priced. I had a lot of trouble getting 4"X4" hard maple when I needed to replace some vise screws for trade shops in the museum. One company,which the museum dealt with quite a bit

sent me a 6' long maple 4x4 for $130.00. it had a HUGE long V shaped missing void of wood in it about 2' long. Above that was a crack 2' long,leaving about 2' of USABLE 4x4. I told them I didn't know how they got off sending me that piece of junk for $130.00,and refused to accept it. I'd have gotten 1 screw from it,IF the crack didn't go a lot farther than it appeared to go into the remaining solid area.

It seemed like maple 4x4 was just hard to find. I can't remember how I solved the screw problem. Might have made them from beech,which I did have,though it wasn't as hard as hard maple. Plenty of old time vise screws were made from beech,though.