Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh Well

Oh Well

I understand that the ocean waves dump water into the subway because of Sandy, do they pump the water out or is there a better way ?

I would have to assume that the subway is BELOW sea level--henceforth pumping would be the only remedial action. BUT....I haven't lived there since 1966. I'll stay on flat prairie ground and endure the occasional -35F in the winters. I guess I'm the bigger fool.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

They're more or less always pumping water out of the subways...just not normally this much.

Yeah, but are they pumping out saltwater? My guess is no.. but what do I know?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

My understanding is that they have to pump the water, then repair any damage or corrosion to signal equipment, and repair turnstiles, escalators, etc. Although the news hasn't been very detailed, I doubt the entire subway system is flooded, just the key downtown bottlenecks. But I haven't lived there since 1986, so what do I know?
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

They said on the news that 46 miles were flooded. That's going to take a while to pump out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    They said on the news that 46 miles were flooded. That's going to take a while to pump out.
    46 miles , I understand 46 miles but do the water only cover the tracks or ALL THE WAY to the ceiling,, a well that wide and 46 miles long will contain ???how many gallons---pumping this water out will cost money, digging a exit tunnel to drain the water COULD been cheaply than pumping if this tunnel were dug at the time that the subway were built

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    46 miles , I understand 46 miles but do the water only cover the tracks or ALL THE WAY to the ceiling,, a well that wide and 46 miles long will contain ???how many gallons---pumping this water out will cost money, digging a exit tunnel to drain the water COULD been cheaply than pumping if this tunnel were dug at the time that the subway were built
    Where do you drain the water to? It's underground. You can't just go out to one of the rivers because it's below the rivers. There's no choice but to pump. They were designed with pumps for just this reason. There is a constant stream of water flowing into the subway from the water table, and it's constantly being pumped out by design.

how many cities in this nation + Canada got subway trains with this underground water problem ?

how many cities in this nation + Canada got subway trains with this underground water problem ?
    Not sure. It's not really a problem, though. It's by design, sort of like French Drains in a basement. Yeah, it's water where you ideally want none, but sometimes it can't be helped. Instead of just giving up, you just design for it. I would imagine that any underground system that is at or below the water table, under rivers, etc is going to have to mitigate water intrusion one way or another. This was a pretty major even and they're thinking it will take 4 days to get back to normal. Given it's long history of near continuous service, that's pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    ....I guess I'm the bigger fool. Bruce
    How you like dem tornados and devastating thunderstorms/hail, bucky??

NOBODY is immune to Mother Nature's quirks.

digging a exit tunnel to drain the water COULD been cheaply than pumping
    The water would have to drain UP. Not going to happen.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    The water would have to drain UP. Not going to happen.
    water will flow or drain uphill, surely you remember the quake of 1812 and the mississippi flowing backward

water will flow or drain uphill, surely you remember the quake of 1812 and the mississippi flowing backward
    Water can't flow or drain against gravity. Surely the Quake of 1812 moved the land, and the Mississippi found a new "downhill".

Blog Entries
    Ray, cities have massive pumping & drainage systems for these kinds of problems. CNN had a picture of water up to the platform @ one subway station and the tracks were dry by the next day. Obviously the rails would need to be inspected / repaired prior to use...