Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you had $400.00.......

Quote Originally Posted by John Fleming View Post
    I would like to use the hand plane or planes to shave tenons, take a little off on a panel, that sort of thing. I got a much bigger response than expected and have been given plenty of options. Thanks.
    I agree with a Paul that a large shoulder plane could be a very good option. A rabbeting block plane would also be very good since in addition to trimming tenons and rabbets it will be handy for all sorts of general trimming tasks. My favorite tools for tenon cheeks is a router plane - its also good for tuning rabbets and dados and any sort of recessed work you come across.

In addition to a joinery plane I would get one bench plane. The LV or LN LA jack is a good option. If nothing else you'll find it worth its weight in gold when you build a shooting board. Really though any size bench plane will be useful if you have none. A smaller one (e.g. no. 4ish) will be better if you want to smooth out work coming of the planer. A larger (e.g. 5, 6, or 7) if you want to do some jointing or flattening.

Maybe start out by just buying one plane - say a rabbet block plane, and something to keep it sharp if you don't already have it. You'll have some money left over to put towards the next plane, and using the first plane will be very helpful in deciding what that next plane should be.

(P.S. It is very unlikely I would take my own advice here, I would most likely spend all $400 right away plus another $100.... do as I say not as I do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post

(P.S. It is very unlikely I would take my own advice here, I would most likely spend all $400 right away plus another $100.... do as I say not as I do.)
    Ain't that the truth!
    Paul

If you had a budget of $400.00 dollars and had no hand planes what would you buy? To keep it simple, only new and only hand planes. I only have power tools ( I know) but want to add hand tools to my shop.
    I do have chisels and a few other items. I want to start with just a couple of planes to really get to know how to use them and keep them set up and sharp. Thanks.
    John,

Since you have chisels and a few other items, I think it is safe for everyone to assume you have a sharpening setup.

You say you are wanting to start with a just a couple planes...this tells me you want a plane or planes that has the most versatility right now, but you will likely be adding to them in the future.

You also said...
    I would like to use the hand plane or planes to shave tenons, take a little off on a panel, that sort of thing.
    To shave a little off of a tenon, I am assuming you are referring to the face of the tenon all the way down to the shoulder. In that case, you narrowed your choices down to a shoulder plane or a rabbet plane.

So I would look at the LV Skew Block plane. This will allow you to trim tenons both on the face and end grain. It can be used as a standard block plan also.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...182,41192&ap=1

My second plane to look at it would be a good all around plane that could be used for smoothing and shooting. This would point me towards the LV Low Angle Jack. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,41182,48944

Unfortunately this puts you $40 over your budget and then you still have shipping. The requirement of needing to shave tenons tends to push you to a specialty plane which have specialty pricing.

Though you could forgo the block plane and get a shoulder plane. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...182,41192&ap=1 which gets you within your $400, but I don't think a small shoulder plane is ideal for your situation. I do think my first 2 recommendations are ideal, just over budget. If you could only get one, I would get the skew block plane.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    A rabbeting block plane would also be very good since in addition to trimming tenons and rabbets it will be handy for all sorts of general trimming tasks.

Maybe start out by just buying one plane - say a rabbet block plane.
    Didn't see Chris' post until after I posted mine...I concur with him about the rabbet block plane with a bench plane coming secondary.

If you had a budget of $400.00 dollars and had no hand planes what would you buy? To keep it simple, only new and only hand planes.
    OK, in my previous post I talked about how you could get an entire starter set of handplanes in the Stanley Sweetheart series for less than your $400 budget.

Another choice would be the ECE Primus line of handplanes. German made Woodies, most models are in the European style with the curved handle forward and a molded spot behind the blade for your other hand. Because of the curvature of the forward handle, they are made in right and left handed models.

These are high quality, well respected planes that rate right up there with some of the finest available. I bought my first one about a year ago, and now it is my go-to Smoother. I also have one of their Jack planes, the large Jointer, a Rabbit, and their router plane. The handle forward design is extremely comfortable, and their unique adjustment mechanism is very precise.

I would highly recommend everyone to give one of these wonderful planes a test drive. The best place I have found for these is at Adria Hand Tools. For some reason, they are far less expensive at Adria than they are anyplace else, plus Adria has excellent customer service and free shipping with your plane purchase. All-in-all an excellent value.

Their legendary 711 Improved Smoothing Plane: $195
    The Beech & Hornbeam 704 Jack: $167
    http://www.adriatools.com/ece/eceprimus.html

Beach & Hornbeam 101 Jointer: $166
    9-S Rabbit with 30mm wide iron: $60
    http://www.adriatools.com/ece/ecewedged.html
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty