Thread: I'm at a cross road in my education opportunities in accounting.

I'm at a cross road in my education opportunities in accounting.

I've just started a new phase in life as an accountant and was wondering the next direction in post grad education I should take. Most seem to take the CPA/CA route but I was wondering if a masters in what have you would be any better or not. Also as I don't plan to stay in Australia any longer than I have to I was wondering which would hold better international weight CPA/CA or masters. And! is there any other options I've missed? Opinions greatly accepted as I need food for thought.

Blog Entries
    My brother is in this field in the U.S. An MBA or M.Acc is useful for getting noticed by the larger accounting firms (i.e. it will set your resume apart from others). It also helps you be more prepared for the CPA test. It really depends on what you want to do in terms of a career... there are CPA prep classes that are much cheaper than a M.Acc if you just want to get ready for the test.

His feedback is "if you want to be an accountant, just take the CPA test and maybe a CPA prep class. If you want to be a businessman, go get a MBA or M.Acc... it will open more doors in your professional career."

Blog Entries
    I am not in the accounting career path so take this as only a personal opinion. In the US, I would suggest an MBA. That will open doors for you outside the accounting discipline. The company I work for has several employees who started as accountants, got their MBA and have moved into management roles. I can think of several who started as Financial Analysts or Site Accountants and are now managers of operations with $25M+ annual sales and 80+ employees. It all depends on where you want to be 5 or 10 years from now.

My brother is a CPA. If you want to stay in the accounting field, you will need a CPA. If you don't want to spend your career as an accountant, look at an advanced degree. But your advancement outside of accounting will depend on how well you learn the business (like how widgets are made and sold), and how well you can manage people.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I am a CPA (consulting & tax) in the San Francisco Bay Area (California) and here are my two cents:

- Getting post grad education (i.e., an MBA) right after your undergrad isn't a good idea (but there are always exceptions). A person needs 3 - 5 yrs business/accounting experience before starting an MBA.
    - I'd continue studying for your CPA, get your license (keeping in mind that circumstances might not permit you getting a licence).
    - If after 3 or 4 yrs you determine you don't like accounting (audit, private, tax, etc?) then go get your MBA.