Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better than a tree - but I still dont know what to do with it - suggestions!

I didn't see anyone mention resawing with a Woodmizer. No difficult handling. I am lucky enough to have a friend with one, and he does that sort of resaw all the time. One used to be able to find local folks with woodmizers by contacting the company. I also see folks on craig's list regularly advertising such services. I'd go ahead and resaw the real thick ones, down to a thickness you think you might actually use. FWIW.

Ken in Granby,CT

I did contact IRYS in Newport and it was too far for them to bother with it.

Found a group closer by that restores historical buildings. Very cool work. They want them, and asked that I place a 'value' on them for tax purposes.

Soooooooo..... What's the 'value' on an old white oak beam? Let's just do one and extrapolate from there. 10" wide, by 8" thick, by 12 ft long.

Anyone care to throw out a wild guess?

$5/bf minimum. Probably closer to $8.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Joe, the word "plank" is indeed accurate, in the Oxford a plank is 2 to 6 inches thick, at least 9 inches wide, and at least 8 feet long. As we acquire modern technical terms we are making old ones blurry. Pirates had to "walk the plank" because a thin "board" could break before the convicted got to the end of it. Early OSHA
    Thank God OSHA is getting more strict on this. I think they now require carbon fiber planks. We wouldn't want those Pirates to get injured before they die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Joe, the word "plank" is indeed accurate, in the Oxford a plank is 2 to 6 inches thick, at least 9 inches wide, and at least 8 feet long. As we acquire modern technical terms we are making old ones blurry. Pirates had to "walk the plank" because a thin "board" could break before the convicted got to the end of it. Early OSHA
    Carl's new post brought this thread to the front. I missed Mel's response when this thread was started. So a belated....

Thank You, Mel. Mom was right. You learn something every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Boy, some of those sure would make a nice bench top.
    Ditto. I see a new bench build thread coming up...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post

Found a group closer by that restores historical buildings. Very cool work. They want them, and asked that I place a 'value' on them for tax purposes.

Soooooooo..... What's the 'value' on an old white oak beam? Let's just do one and extrapolate from there. 10" wide, by 8" thick, by 12 ft long.

Nope.....but if it were me I'd probably call up one of the local recycled lumber retailers and get a quote for one or two of the sizes you have, (as if you were buying, not selling), from them. There's one in Cambridge....I think Longleaf? or something like that?

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post

a beam 12 foot long will demand extra, I will guess that a beam this size are worth 5 times what a bf sells for

Thanks to the idea of finding a cause to donate these towards, they are now off being integrated into this project:

http://www.ipswichknighthouse.org/

I believe they will be used for some of the furniture in the house.

Any leftovers will be applied to other similar projects. As far as I am concerned, this was a GREAT use for these and I will make out fine having a tax write off, so a win win. Thanks for the idea!

Sounds like a winning situation for everyone.!

Great use of the wood Carl, I'm sure it feels great to help this project out!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.