Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who says you can't buy Corian (or other solid surface)?

Who says you can't buy Corian (or other solid surface)?

Mods, this is not exactly woodworking related so feel free to move it if you wish. I may rue the day I showed SWMBO how to use Ebay. She's been on a kitchen refurb kick. Found backsplash tile she liked but hadn't settled on countertops. She was looking at solidsurface(dot)com but was concerned about shipping and how to handle full sheets at 100 lbs. plus. Then she found an ebay seller that goes by Tomstoybox1. She sent a message and found his name is Tom Phillips and he has a business in Milford CT. called Surface Techniques. He just bought the business including inventory and is trying to liquidate some of it. He didn't have the color she wanted but was willing to order it. I thought the non-'blessed' couldn't buy full sheets of solid surface materials. He said we cannot buy from DuPont or whoever but we can buy all we want from him and DuPont has no problem with it. I asked about posting here and he said go ahead. The caveat is that all identifying marks must be removed before it goes out his door so there's no warranty claim possible. We also bought a matching sink which he did not remove I.D. marks from. We drove up one morning in my Ranger. He cut a pallet down which fit nicely between the wheel well. He had ordered 1.5 sheets and cut them slightly oversized based on our rough drawing. That way the longest piece was only about 5' long. Cushioned things with cardboard and strapped 'em tight to the pallet. He does have some neat toys - Steibig(sp?) panel saw, Robland slider saw, a $$$$ machine that will route a V groove, apply tape and create a drop edge in one pass. He also got us the glue & gun for a decent price. Pretty nice option for those of us in the mid-Atlantic and lower New England areas. He does list local pickup only. The current ebay listing is 170826021419.

If word of this post got to Dupont, they would cut him off. My question is, do you know what your doing with that stuff? Nothing hurts more than seeing a rookie mistake ruin a $600 slab. Take your time, triple check everything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    If word of this post got to Dupont, they would cut him off.
    Nah, DuPont has supported this for a number of years. Anyone can get the sheets, just contact DuPont (don't have the number handy, but a good contact person has been posted several times by Keith in the Engraver's forum) and they'll set you up an account with the local distributor. It's not the cheapest stuff to work with, but there's no problem getting a hold of it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Guess they loosened up on this stuff when competition sprang up. I remember when you literally had to take a class in order to purchase wholesale.

Blog Entries
    Guess they loosened up on this stuff when competition sprang up. I remember when you literally had to take a class in order to purchase wholesale.
    No class anymore, just mention what you plan to do with it (like me, I just say I engrave signs with my laser) other than install countertops and they give the thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    No class anymore, just mention what you plan to do with it (like me, I just say I engrave signs with my laser) other than install countertops and they give the thumbs up.
    Hey Hey, look who's back!

Its amazing .. I am in the building supply business and remember back pre 2008.. Manufacturers where staunch with rules, regulations and arrogance. Few are like that today ..

Pre 2008 people were buying houses and building kitchens, post 2008......different story

JeffD

If they catch him advertising that he will do this DuPont has no choice but to shut him off. Their contract with all fabricators protects them from gray market selling of Corian. They shut down the largest fabricator in Nebraska several years ago for doing this. Corian arrived with a truck and a warrant. When they were done there was not enough Corian in the shop to turn a pen. I know because the owners father called me for some Corian to make promised pens. When he bought the business Tom should have read his contract. Selling the odd piece that will not hurt other fabricators ( like signs ) is usually let go.

DuPont did not want it this way but 50 years ago the fabricators demanded protection before they would fabricate what was then an unproven product.
    Last edited by Ken Dolph; 10-25-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    "And now for something completely different..."

Blog Entries
    I don't see him doing anything wrong, Ken... DuPont has no issue with any of us purchasing the stuff for non-countertop use.

I would bet that Corian's fading popularity also makes the rules a lot less important to Dupont.

In Canada right now .. The way it works is " don't ask, don't tell " .. In other words, if you get caught, we cant support it .. but we would prefer you don't get caught...

It's my understanding that Dupont Corian cannot be sold to anyone other than a certified installer if it is to be used as counter-top material. Signs are a different issue altogether. If you purchase Corian for the purpose of making signs you are not supposed to sell to another person who intends to fabricate a counter-top.

By removing all markings are you sure it is corian? Not that that makes any difference, but if its abornite or some other plastic whats the difference. The only thing the corian is if not certified they will not warrant the counter top because of technique and such. I don't understand the reomving of the corian name which is usually stamped all over the back of it, took some time to remove them all.

Bob

If word of this post got to Dupont, they would cut him off. My question is, do you know what your doing with that stuff? Nothing hurts more than seeing a rookie mistake ruin a $600 slab. Take your time, triple check everything.
    That's why I've hesitated about posting this and checked with him before posting. Yeah, cutting this stuff wrong would be a little more consequential than screwing up a piece of poplar. If he posts on ebay, he can't be too concerned. I suspect that with other solid surface vendors coming on the scene, DuPont may become a little less protective though the other solid surface manufacturers seem to have similar restrictive policies. Tom claims to have been in the business for 20 years so presumably he know what he's doing.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 10-26-2012 at 7:07 AM.