Thread: A Pin Vise I Made (Not George

A Pin Vise I Made (Not George

I've always liked George Wilson's ...I Made threads, they usually show something really cool that winds up in a folder of things I'd love to make someday.

Anyways I'm copying his format to show some little projects I have in the works. First up is a pin vise made with one of the LV special buy 1/4" hex adapter chucks. Sadly when I went to purchase a bunch they are out of stock. The wood is Padauk. I have wanted a pin vise for a long time, the LV chucks seemed perfect and I bought a pair of each, then tried to figure out what manner of handle I wanted. The big clunky affairs similar to the discontinued Bridge City Tools handle was, well big and clunky. When I saw some London Pattern handles, particularly George's Pfiels with the "S" curve description I knew that's what I wanted. Funny how years ago when I first saw them I thought they were to fancy, now they look elegant and fun to make.

I still have to fit the chuck to the second handle, I've started sticking to my notion of making two of any tools I make and listing one for sale on my blog. Next up are a set of needle files in cuban mahogany, and a miniature nut driver set, and some tiny 3 point turning tools for hard wood like god, box, ebony or ivory, just in case I find some of those materials to work in someday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trevor Walsh; 10-23-2012 at 5:00 PM. Reason: grammar
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

A nice handle,Trevor. If you will drill a hole clear through the axis of the handle,you'll be able to stick long wires up through the hole and hold them in the chuck. Most pin vises have that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    ... Next up are a set of needle files in cuban mahogany, ...
    I don't understand this. The files look like real files. Are you saying they are really wooden files you made? If so, WOW!

Those are some really nice looking handles - I really like the design you modeled them after. Glad you shared.

I like George's "I made" threads too - I titled my last build thread in the same manner as well...

Thanks everybody, especially George. This particular chuck from LV has a solid 1/4" hex that turns into an nearly 1/4-20NC. The pushing plate for the jaws is solid as well, so I'm not sure exactly how that would work. Do most pin vises usually have a collet type nose with the hollow center? Like a Dremel nose but integral rather than individual collets.

Todd, yes it's very old very hard mahogany, I was even able to case harden it, haha. I suppose I mean set of needle files in mahogany handles.

Chris do you have a lathe? Just thinking about our sometime get together, maybe we'll make handles? Sounds invigorating doesn't it?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Thanks everybody, especially George. This particular chuck from LV has a solid 1/4" hex that turns into an nearly 1/4-20NC. The pushing plate for the jaws is solid as well, so I'm not sure exactly how that would work. Do most pin vises usually have a collet type nose with the hollow center? Like a Dremel nose but integral rather than individual collets.

Todd, yes it's very old very hard mahogany, I was even able to case harden it, haha. I suppose I mean set of needle files in mahogany handles.

Chris do you have a lathe? Just thinking about our sometime get together, maybe we'll make handles? Sounds invigorating doesn't it?

Indeed sounds like lots of fun!

Unfortunately, no I don't have a lathe. I tried turning on Archie's huge awesome one-way lathe once when I lived in NOLA (man its A LOT harder than it looks) but really have zero turning experience. Still I like the idea of making some handles so if you have a lathe you are welcome to try and teach me. For non-turned types of handles though I'm halfway decent with rasps and files.

I'd really love to get a small lathe some day just for turning small knobs and tool handles, but my bank account disagrees with the sentiment at the moment. Plus, the lathe will need to get in line behind the big giant bandsaw that I intend to buy when I buy a house and setup a more permanent shop. IIRC we both have some unfinished saw kits to build as well - that would be a good way to spend some time as well.

Those are beautiful handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    IIRC we both have some unfinished saw kits to build as well - that would be a good way to spend some time as well.
    Shhh, I'm getting to that. But you're right that might be a good project, or spoon carving? Something little and completable. I have a Rikon Midi lathe at by parents in the "old workshop" when I go up to see them I turn little things. I've got an order for 12 mahogany finials to go on the ends of their patio furniture, I turn a few when I go up and that's that. I have plans to move it into my new office but well see how that works out.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Shhh, I'm getting to that. But you're right that might be a good project, or spoon carving? Something little and completable.

Ooooh, I 'd love to try some spoon carving. In general I love anything little and completable. I don't think we will have any trouble finding something to do...

By putting "I made" at the end of each of my titles,it is easier to search for my old posts.

Ah, yes you'd get all of them in one fell swoop.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Well, now he'll get his and ours in one fell swoop....

I don't think so,as I include my name as well as "I made".