Thread: Hammer A3-41: Quiet Power vs. Byrd Shelix and Buying Byrd pre-installed

Hammer A3-41: Quiet Power vs. Byrd Shelix and Buying Byrd pre-installed

Does anyone here have experience comparing the two heads? I have the A3-41 on my wish list and would choose to order it either with a Quiet Power or straight blades and then convert.

Also, I read in another post about someone buying one with the Byrd pre-installed. How did you order that and from whom?

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I would just buy the silent power head pre installed and not worry about it later.

Keep in mind that one reason Felder developed their own head was the attempt to reduce the power needed with the relatively small single phase motors. The Silent power does need less HP than the Byrd. Both leave a fine finish but there is no economics to buying and swapping later. I've got a Byrd, ITCH, straight knife and Tersa and it's more about the quality of the machine than the head but the silent power is the head for the Hammer. Dave

Agreed, I would buy it with it the silent power head.

The Silent Power head is also the only carbide insert jointer head that I've seen that has a MAN rating............Rod.

I bought and just took delivery of an A3-31 with the silent power head. You won't go wrong with that choice! It cuts beautifully and is very quiet. The dust control for this machine is excellent as well. Best of luck,
    Tom

I also have the A3-31 with silent power cutter head, excellent - very nice cut, quiet and reduced amount of shavings when compared to bladed JP. Also note the you cannot retrofit the Hammer machines later, have to choose either silent power head or standard blades (knives) when ordering.
    J

I don't have any experience with the Byrd head. I ordered my A3 41 with the Silent Power head in 2012 and I have never looked back. The finish is great.