Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a crazy idea?

Thoughts on a crazy idea?

I've been reading for a while but never posted. Now I have a reason. I just got a SCMI sc600 and hope to start milling lumber on it. I've seen alot where they push the log through the saw but I would like some feedback on an idea of pushing the saw through the tree. I would like to build a trolley that the saw rides on tracks. There are a few reasons that I would like to try this. I would use less room and can cut longer logs. With a little modification, I can get a 20" cut by removing the table. The other thing would be setting it up so the place that will hold the log could double for indeed and outfeed tables. I'm just throughing ideas around right now and would like some feedback. I bought a house with shop that is 56' by 24' that I plan on making my woodworking shop. So I will have room but any space is valuable. I would love a bandsaw mill but the one I would like cost more then the property and all my woodworking tools cost. Hell the property was only $10000. I'm very mechanical and can build what I need. All am looking for is do you like this idea and do you think it will work? Thanks

I'm not sure what your intended level of use is, but the sawyer who comes to my property has a 20HP motor on his Woodmizer, and cutting 20" boards from a log seems to use the better part of that power. Your SCMI has what, about 4HP? I think the SCMI a fine saw, and I would like to have one in my own shop, but I would first look at hiring a sawer or buying a used bandmill to saw 20" logs into lumber.

I understand your concern but I belive there is a big difference between gas and electric. I have a neighbor with a wood mizer and he uses a 10hp electric. I'm also looking at upping hp to be better able to mill. The biggest difference would be cost. My saw was $600 with another $400 in additional cost. Thats going to save me about $10,000 for a good used mill. Plus I will be able to cut my own, to my specification when I want to.

If you can make it work, I wouldn't trust the saw for anything else. I don't know how wide bandsaw mill blades are, but they gotta be wider than that saw can run. 1.5" width max?

Also thinking you'd need bearings for your track. Big ones. The saw probably weighs what - 700-800 lbs? Hope you have a good stretch of nice flat ground to do it on. Concrete pour?

Personally, I think I'd go with fixed infeed and outfeed tables and push the log. But it would require more space. Long narrow area with a roof?

I guess your idea could work with sufficient track supporting the bandsaw so it wouldn't bind. Would the saw be horizontal?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I don't quite see how you can hold the log up. My vote is for stationary saw/moveable log on track.

A lumber yard near me makes big corbels with a band saw on casters, and stationary wood.

Rick Potter

As for power, an old rule of thumb I use is: 1 electric HP = 2 gas HP. I think it has more to do with torque. I have found this guide used with power transmission components several times over the years.

John

Let me say that regardless of what you do, you really should post some pictures of what you end up with.

If you desire to let the log stay stationary and move the saw, then I suppose that you must build a platform of some sort and then support that very large saw on both sides. For me, that is a non-starter since I could not even remotely do that (question of abilities).

The base must be good, and then the entire mechanism must track smoothly down the line as you push it. I assume that the saw would then be on top of (over) the log as you moved it, which means that you would also need a method to raise and lower the saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Noskowiak View Post
    I've been reading for a while but never posted. Now I have a reason. I just got a SCMI sc600 and hope to start milling lumber on it. I've seen alot where they push the log through the saw but I would like some feedback on an idea of pushing the saw through the tree. I would like to build a trolley that the saw rides on tracks. There are a few reasons that I would like to try this. I would use less room and can cut longer logs. With a little modification, I can get a 20" cut by removing the table. The other thing would be setting it up so the place that will hold the log could double for indeed and outfeed tables. I'm just throughing ideas around right now and would like some feedback. I bought a house with shop that is 56' by 24' that I plan on making my woodworking shop. So I will have room but any space is valuable. I would love a bandsaw mill but the one I would like cost more then the property and all my woodworking tools cost. Hell the property was only $10000. I'm very mechanical and can build what I need. All am looking for is do you like this idea and do you think it will work? Thanks
    Are you hoping to start a milling business or do you just have a few trees you want milled? If the later, find someone with a mill and have them do the work (split the wood or pay them, either way).

Some issues / questions:
    - Is 20" going to be enough throat capacity for your trees?
    - How are you planning to drag the logs into position? Can the logs be dragged over the tracks? Are going to roll them over and into position instead?
    - I'm assuming you'll be welding some rollers onto the saw frame to slide it up and down the tracks. Will the saw frame handle this w/o warping?
    - IMO, 4-5HP is underpowered and you'll need some kind of motor ring adaptor to connect a bigger motor. Then you get into frame strength/sag issues (can it handle the extra HP). Underpowered just means that it will take a lot longer to make the cut.
    - Are the guide bearings going to handle this heavy duty application & angle of use?

Frankly, I would look at an Alaskan Mill if you're doing a few trees each year (either make your own or buy the kits). If you're going through all the trouble to weld together tracks, rollers, carriages, etc., etc. then I'd go ahead and build the bandsaw as well (with a large throat capacity). Maybe you could cut an existing saw in half and expand it? (plate steel the full length for stiffness)

photo 3.jpgI would just borrow the parts I needed from the saw such as wheel and guide assemblies.

here is the beginning of my band mill construction project..........Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 10-23-2012 at 3:12 PM.

The cheapest way to get a few logs milled into lumber is to hire a guy with a mill. The cheapest way to mill a few logs yourself is with an Alaskan Mill and chainsaw. I've been doing it this way for about 8 years now and have milled several thousand BF. Works fine although it's hard work. There are several benefits over other methods. It's pretty cheap, as I said, but it's also portable so you can mill anywhere, and it stores in a very small area. Plus you have a chainsaw for cutting trees, firewood, etc. Rod's homemade BS mill might be even cheaper if you had access to free steel; otherwise, it's probably the second cheapest option. Some of those units also store in very little space, if built with that thought in mind. As for modifying your BS? I think Rod's right. Take off the parts you need and make a purpose built unit.

John

Jimmy, my gut reaction is that with your particular machine, it will more fuss and time/energy in trying to make that work than it would in either hiring a milling guy to come on-site but that is just my opinion. Not trying to discourage you, but I can see all sorts of potential issues in regards to getting the feed rate right, in order to account for the (relatively) weak motor on that saw and also just the logisitics of trying to manipulate a 24" bandsaw along a log with a relatively narrow blade. I believe the max blade width on that machine is maybe 2" and I would want to use a much stouter blade for large timber. I have never personally milled large timber on a bandsaw but the folks I know who own Woodmizers run, I think, 3"blades, so that is where I would want to start. Again, that is just my gut reaction.

I love DIY stuff. If you decide to give it a shot, then please post up. Best of luck, whatever you end up doing.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Noskowiak View Post
    I understand your concern but I belive there is a big difference between gas and electric. I have a neighbor with a wood mizer and he uses a 10hp electric. I'm also looking at upping hp to be better able to mill. The biggest difference would be cost. My saw was $600 with another $400 in additional cost. Thats going to save me about $10,000 for a good used mill. Plus I will be able to cut my own, to my specification when I want to.
    Jimmy, How are you going to move/lift/ rotate the logs? A 20" by 8' log is HEAVY!

So if it was me I'd pencil in some dollars for a tractor more horsepower and a solid track to roll my bandsaw on. This may add up to paying/ trading with your neighbor to saw for you.

It can be done.

Drop Mattias Wandel a line, he built one with a wooden back.
    Woodgears

How I got the idea is from mills used today to cut lumber. People resaw on rigs like this all the time. I understand your concern but this isn't the first time someone has made something like this. The reason why I would like to build it is that I get access to some very interesting logs that millers will not touch. I build a lot with logs and slabs, so having the option would allow me to make more custom stuff. Think as a woodworker if you could make your own lumber to your specifications. Next spring I will be taking down 5 decent black walnut and I would rather make them into something then use them for firewood. So I hope you understand way I would like to try this. Thanks

Contract bandsaw millers will mill most any log you want. However, if they hit embedded metal you get to buy them a new blade. That is another reason why a chainsaw mill makes a lot of sense. A new chain for my 28" bar costs about $30, so it's not a big deal if I lose one on a nice log just because it has a piece of metal. Actually, I've cut through quite a few nails w/o doing much damage to the chain. It's only when I hit a 3/8" screw from an electrical insulator that it really ruined the chain. But that was on a walnut log that yielded over 100 BF of beautiful wood, so $30 was incidental to the value of the wood. It sounds like you already have a chainsaw. If it's 75 cc's or larger, you already have the most expensive piece of equipment for chainsaw milling. A couple of ripping chains and an Alaskan Mill (or make your own) and you're ready to go.

John