Thread: Grizzly G1023RLW or G1023RL / T10222 Router Extension Table

Grizzly G1023RLW or G1023RL / T10222 Router Extension Table

Hello Folks!

Great site with tons of useful info!

Looking at ordering the Grizzly G1023, just wondering if I should get the RLW with the built in router table or get the RL and the T10222 Router Extension Table?

I currently have a smaller shop and a dedicated router table does not fit the plan, I do use my router a fair bit and wondering what would be best. Will the built in table suffice or should i get the more versatile extension table?

I am coming from a dewalt dw745 contractors saw and my projects have out grown the saw, time to upgrade!

Thanks

The T10222 looks a lot nicer but the website shows that both the 1023RL and 1023RLW are both the same price($1250) so the standard router table would be free. I think if you get the RLW, you only get one wing and RT takes the place of the right wing. I am not a fan of router tables in the table saw so I will let something answer you other questions. I love my 1023RL BTW.

Thanks for the reply Cary, I may get the RL with the T10222. If the G1023RLW had T-slots in the top of the router table top that would be my choice, but from what I can see there is no easy way to attach a dedicated router fence to the G1023RLW, not being able to leave both setup at the same time wouldn't work for me. You could tap holes in the cast iron and put slots in the shop built fence though.
    With the G1023RL and the router extension attached to the left wing of the saw you would have a bigger working surface and also a dedicated factory built router fence.

I have a left tilt grizzly, but I have the 26" fence.

Have used others with the 50" fence in other shops - since my shop is also on the smaller side, I much prefer the shorter extension.

A separate router table allows it to be moved around as needed (when not needed), and allows a setup on the router table to stay while doing other table saw operations (I find myself going back and forth a lot, so wouldnt want something where the fence is shared)

Just $.02

I too have a small shop without room for a separate router table. A few years ago I bought a G690 and built a table extension with a router lift. I laminated two 3/4" bb pieces that I covered with laminate. It took a little time but what I saved versus the griz extension allowed for a lift (REALLY nice to have), a new router, and money left over for bits.

http://
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Dika View Post
    Thanks for the reply Cary, I may get the RL with the T10222. If the G1023RLW had T-slots in the top of the router table top that would be my choice, but from what I can see there is no easy way to attach a dedicated router fence to the G1023RLW, not being able to leave both setup at the same time wouldn't work for me. You could tap holes in the cast iron and put slots in the shop built fence though. With the G1023RL and the router extension attached to the left wing of the saw you would have a bigger working surface and also a dedicated factory built router fence.
    I have a Mule table saw fence instead of a Bies-style Grizzly fence. A Bies style fence is better in that it will lift off, the Mule fence must be slid off the end of the rail. I built a stand-alone router fence that attached on one end like the Mule fence only using wooden parts. The other end of the router fence I justed used a bolt hooking over the back angle iron rail and a knob to tighten it. I have about 12" of rip capacity when using the router fence. I use a CMS for crosscuts. When ripping door parts and such, 12" rip capacity is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Dika View Post
    If the G1023RLW had T-slots in the top of the router table top that would be my choice, but from what I can see there is no easy way to attach a dedicated router fence to the G1023RLW, not being able to leave both setup at the same time wouldn't work for me. You could tap holes in the cast iron and put slots in the shop built fence though.
    With the G1023RL and the router extension attached to the left wing of the saw you would have a bigger working surface and also a dedicated factory built router fence.
    Ya that's what I think.

Just wanted to point out real quick, that even though both appear to be the same price, the freight charges are $50 more for the RLW vs the RL. If you won't be picking it up from the showroom it will cost you more.

great router table, thanks for the pic.

Regardless of which router setup you go with, I'd budget for the sliding table. It is really awesome. I only wish I had gotten it sooner.

C
    Attached Images Attached Images