Thread: Dinky Handwheel on My New Delta 46 460 Has To Go...

Dinky Handwheel on My New Delta 46 460 Has To Go...

Just about the first thing I do when I set up a new lathe is turn a large handwheel. I hate the dinky handwheels that lathe manufactures install. Especially true with mini lathes. The handwheel I turned for my Oneway is about 9 inches in dia.

Living in Arizona, it's great to get away for a couple of months in the summer. Most of our family lives in Portland, Or, so that's where we head. This year my wife had serious surgery while we were in Portland so that's where we still are. My wife will be in rehab for another few weeks. (She celebrated her 91st birthday there yesterday)

My daughter urged me to set up a turning shop in her basement so I did. I bought a Delta 46 460 and lots of other stuff for my shop-away-from home. I like the lathe except for the tiny handwheel. Being used to a large one, this one drives me nuts.

All of my prevoius lathes had outboard LH threads with faceplates available, so making a handwheel was easy My new Delta is threaded with what looks like 10-16 LH threads for the handwheel. The present handwheel would be difficult to use as a faceplate.

Question....has anyone turned and installed a handwheel for the Delta? If so, please tell me about it..
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 10-20-2012 at 5:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    Question....has anyone turned and installed a handwheel for the Delta? If so, please tell me about it..
    I didn't turn a handwheel, but changed the small one that came with the 46-460 with the handwheel off my JET 1236. The JET handwheel is about a six inch diameter. I use the JET Lathe as a deadicated 20 inch Disc Sander and don;t need a handwheel for that.

I'm glad to hear that you're keeping your hands and mind busy while your wife recoups and you are away from your home shop.I have the same lathe and I guess I never really considered a larger hand wheel as I don't know any better.I have seen them turned from hardwood and attached with set screws.Let us know what you decide
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

I too have a 46-460 and share your feelings. I turned a 7"wheel with a recess for OEM hand wheel. really tight fit. It has worked well for four years,
    Peter

91 and she's doing well....God bless you both, a sure testament to a happy life!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots