Thread: Auger bit file

Blog Entries

Auger bit file

Has anyone tried the auger bit file from India that LV, L-N and others are selling since Nicholson quite making theirs?

I bought a couple of those from Lie-Nielsen earlier this year and found they seem to work okay. I used them on some used auction site auger bits, both Irwin and Jennings.

I bought the one from LV and haven't had any issues with it.

Seems it in no longer available at Lee Valley or am I missing something. I have an order in the cart just waiting to see if I can find one of these. I would hate to have to make an order to Lie-Nielsen just for this. That of course would make be buy something else and then well, we all know what happens from there . So if LV has them can you show me the link?

Thanks, John

Found one on TFWW, not as cheap but probably worth it.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/s...Auger_Bit_File

Blog Entries
    MAG BIT has a version. Amazon and others carry it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER Order 2 and get free shipping ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-19-2012 at 5:04 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Different grits of sticky back 3M "Scary sharp" paper glued to a thin hardwood scrap do wonders for tuning up augering bits.

Jeff

You can find auger bit files made in the USA on the bay periodically.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I've got the one from TFWW, no problems with it at all, and I've used it quite a bit. In the past I've used needle files with a safe edge ground on them, or spark plug files, or sandpaper glued to wood. Somewhere I used to have a little diamond file that fit just perfect on the larger bits. It did a great job.

EDIT: I just looked, and I must of ordered my file a while ago, it's a US made Nicholson. TFWW says they now carry an Italian file which they say is a bit nicer. Certainly the enlarged view makes it look a little better made than mine.
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 10-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice