Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Orbital Sander

Random Orbital Sander

I'm looking at getting my first Random Orbital Sander. As far as budget is concerned, $100 is the limit. I'm really interested in a Factory-Reconditioned RIDGID R2610 6-Inch Random Orbit Sander(poor man's Metabo made in Germany). It's $76 after taxes and shipping. I have a cheap Ridgid shop vac that it can be hooked up to. Before I jump the gun, any other ones I should look at?

Searching the forum gave the me nothing but praise for the Ridgid sander with minor exceptions.
    Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 10-16-2012 at 12:18 PM.

I'm happy with my Bosch 5" vari-speed. It came set at #3. I used it for a long time. Worked just okay. Better than my Ryobi. One day, I noticed the knob at 3. Don't ask. I wonder if it has higher numbers.?.? 5=WWOOOOOOOOO! I'm so ashamed about that. I usually don't admit to things like this.

I don't think Metabo makes that sander for Rigid anymore so make sure the one you're getting is NOS. Other than their professional plumbing tools I doubt the have much of anything made outside of China.

I do have the same model of sander from Metabo and I like it a lot but 6" gets a bit unwieldy sometimes. It's great for entry doors, table tops and other large horizontal surfaces though.

ridged stuff is fine .it is your first one .sometimes you need to get it ,own it ,use it to know wether it is a good purchase . there are all types of brands and prices and different features . I was reading some reviews from a few years back and that strange shape portacable got highest marks in both . I like the one hand use feature of the 5" models .I tend to use them more also .I like that you will be hooking a vac to it .They remove material faster and pads last longer with a vac.I do not need to read a review for that .it is a noticeable difference.I used to use little shop vacs ,they worked fine . You will be pleased no matter which one you get

The Rigid looks good for a 6", two handed sander - the dual orbit is nice if you're going to be doing aggressive sanding.

If you're looking for a "one-hander" I recommend the Milwaukee 6021-21. We've tried most of the sub $100 units. We're in a school shop so they take considerable abuse. We try to catch dust at the source, so a vacuum adapter and a tool triggered vac are almost always employed. After breaking (switches/dust collection port/adapter) and frequent replacement of wear parts (the brake disc that prevents free spinning) on Dewalt, Bosch, Metabo/Rigid and PorterCable units we found and have settled on the Milwaukee. The dust bag/vacuum adapter on this one is indestructible which cannot be said for any of the others (it's also effective). We haven't had a single switch/variable speed failure in a couple of years and there are no wear parts that require frequent replacement. As a bonus, the tool is nicely balanced, feels good in the hand and sands well. The dustbag/vac adapter is easily modified to be a vacuum adapter only (and spares are cheap).

f7981cea-c92f-4925-870a-6fb904c7fde2_300.jpg

-kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Groenke; 10-16-2012 at 9:22 PM.

The Ridgid you're looking at (R2610) is the Metabo/German made one (the R2611 is the newer China made). I purchased the a Ridgid (R2610) off of the auction site for $64 several years ago (a quick check shows the sander still available for $74 or best offer) I really like the sander. The dual mode is a nice feature. As Peter mentioned, 6" can be a little unwieldy though. For 5" I picked up a DeWalt low profile (a close-out display unit at Lowes for less than $50). I'm impressed with how much easier it is on the hands compared to any other sander I've used. Tools-Plus offers reconditioned DeWalts on their website and has had the low profile 5" sander for less than $100.....

I would seriously consider this one:

http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reco...efault,pd.html

I have the Milwaukee, and though I don't use it hard or regularly, it has a nice feel and works well.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Slightly earlier model of the 5in/125mm Bosch here, but not a lot to compare it to - it's been very good and strikes a nice balance between fine control (turned down) and the ability to be more aggressive if needed.

I was influenced by the view you sometimes see expressed that a 5in/125mm random orbit may be a better all rounder - that a 6in can be a little bulky and aggressive at times. (???)

125mm sanding discs tend to be a more readily available over here than 150mm too.

Dust collection may need thinking about. They keep the work area clear, but am not (for air cleanliness) too convinced about vacuums with sanders without a HEPA filter, and then they may need frequent replacement.

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 10-17-2012 at 5:24 AM.

Looking at some of your recomendations, I guess I should pose the question:

5 inch vs 6 inch?

From what I've read:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    You may think an inch is not much, but using that Pie R Squared rule, the 5" has 19.6 square inches and the six inch has 28.25 square inches---almost 50% more area.
    -STeve
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    6" sanders are generally larger and heavier. They supplement a 5", especially for large surfaces, but you should have a 5" as a base. At least that's my opinion.
    Mike

I had the Bosch 1295 5" (single speed) and never liked it all that much, it just never seemed very comfortable to use. I can't believe the VS is all that different in terms of ergonomics, but I could be wrong.

I also had the Swiss-made Bosch D-handled variable speed 5" sander/polisher and that unit was very nicely made and great in use.

I had the Ridgid 6" Metabo clone 2610 (previous poster is correct that the similar-looking 2611 is a Chinese-made unit and quite different though similar looking), and It was a great feature to have the two-modes, makes it much more versatile.

These days, I have the Festool equivalants and obviously they're quite nice, but pricy.

If I was looking for a sub $100 5", I'd find a used or recon Bosch D-handled VS unit. If I was looking for a budget 6" I'd get the recon Ridgid/Metabo, but make sure it's the 2610...

The brushless PC and Dewalt versions have that low-profile look and are highly regarded. Being brushless, they'll have more power and last longer and being short and squat, I'd assume they'd be comfortable to use.

At around $100, that'd be my choice for new...

Julian

I did it. When I get the R2610, I will definately post pictures and get some projects started like a shoe rack for starters.

LOL. I was just searching older posts yesterday because my pad on my old C'man busted up. $20 for a replacement (w/shipping), but for $40 more, I can have new.

I did alot of searching and went down to buy the Bosch 20VSC. Course, don't you know it, that's the only ones they were out of. Big hole in the shelf between the DeWalts and PCs. Guess the reviews were right. Oh well, gonna order one instead.

Good luck with yours.

I have had the Rigid 2610 for a number of years. Though it doesn't recieve heavy use it has performed very well. I also have it hooked up to a Rigid shop vac and that set up works pretty well for the dust collection. Finding 6" disc with the correct holes is sometimes more difficult then just running to the local borg, but not impossible.
    Lori K

2 sanders, 150$

But I guess u already got yours....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.