Thread: "Barefoot Girl"

"Barefoot Girl"

Here is a carving I just finished. I started this from a Janet Cordell roughout in a 2 day class she taught at my carving club. She's a great teacher and I had a lot of fun. She is 13" tall from basswood. Thanks for looking!

Graceful, mysterious ,lovely,beautiful. Were she my girl she would have something better to stand on than that pine hockey puck! That surface takes light beautifully.

Amazing detail, she’s almost surreal! I have to agree with Mel on the base.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Beautiful work......... Very impressive

Easy enough to change the base...only a couple of screws. I had this available and thought the grain gave and impression of rippled water, and I didn't want something that would be more of a focus than the carving. Is it the wood you dislike or the shape?

Both.The shape of the base is too small ,too steep and plain in design and the grain too striped . I think she needs a dark colored base,wider ,and not so steeply elevated. The base criticism is just because she is so beautiful .The naturalness of the arm position and subtlety of her shape and her face expression are so appealing.You have talent and will make the base she deserves.

Flowing, alive, and beautiful. Great work.

Angie

The only words that come to mind are ----Awesome
    Thanks for sharing your fine art work with all of us.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

That is just beautiful. What a talent!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike,
    She is beautiful. The expression and detail is just wonderful. I agree that you should switch out the base, but I would still buy it if I found it in a gallery!

Just more of the same; in awe of your talent. What a beaut! Agree on the base change . . . you hit a homerun on the carving, we all know you can do the same on the pedestal!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Really magnificent! Every detail is breathtaking!

My measly inquiry id to ask the group if anyone out there can can carve a woman's high heel? I would like to make my kids a table with the high heels!

thanks,

Hedy

You really have wonderful talent with your sculpture. May I make one small suggestion. I was taught that it's inapproiate to carve the pupil in the eyes on wood sculpture. I know it's acceptable with stone work but you might ask your teacher her opinion.

really nice job....i really like the 3/4 rear view.....very natural...great feel!