Thread: Nova Viking Swords

Nova Viking Swords

The episode of Nova that ran this week (I think it was a new episode) detailed the making of a Viking sword. It was an interesting show that detailed the making of the steel through the polishing/grinding of the sword.

I thought you Luddites might enjoy it.

More information here:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient...ing-sword.html

We first watched about the Siberian Tiger then the Sword DOC. Two of the best episodes about anything I recall ever seeing.

Amazing, thanks!
    The do still make good TV programs.

Saw those too...
    there is one on making samurai swords too
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient...rai-sword.html
    Carpe Lignum

That Siberian Tiger Nature show was great, and the Viking Sword Nova was pretty interesting but a little slow, loved the Japanese forging show from a few years ago. But the followup, Nova ScienceNow with Pogue was almost embarrassing I thought, kind of the elementary school version of evolution. Reminded me of the National Geo shows/rag in that if I know anything at all about their topic I know more than they're going to show/write. Much higher production values, but far inferior to Alan Alda's ScienceNow shows which always had topics on the edge of science.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I saw it last night. An unbleivble amount of work went into the swords!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Interesting link but when I attempt to view it, it says it is unavailable. I wonder if this is because I am in Canada.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Manchester View Post
    Interesting link but when I attempt to view it, it says it is unavailable. I wonder if this is because I am in Canada.
    Probably retribution for burning the White House.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I just watched both of those. The metallurgy and smithing was really informative for me. Brought to light and helped me to better understand a lot of what I've read George and other tool makers talk about on this forum. Especially in terms of the hardening, quenching, and tempering of the steel. Thanks for sharing those links guys. Watching them was a nice way to spend a lazy Saturday morning.

I just watched both of those shows too. Great programs. Thanks for posting them.

I appreciate your post. I watched it this morning. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Manchester View Post
    I live in Taiwan. I can watch the episode of samurai sword, but not viking sword. (Not sure if they know I am an Asian.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Liou View Post
    I live in Taiwan. I can watch the episode of samurai sword, but not viking sword. (Not sure if they know I am an Asian.)
    Might give the internet a try, whether with a computer or smart tv or....

BTW, I rewatched it this morning, much better than I thought first time through. My bad.