Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help clearing a badly clogged shower drain

Help clearing a badly clogged shower drain

My shower drain is badly clogged; I think it's probably hair and soap residue. I have tried baking soda and vinegar, then a plunger and hot water to no avail. I bought a 15 feet snake and went through the hole length and came up empty. Now, the snake clears the accumulated water, but it doesn't solve the problem since the shower keeps filling up every time we add more water. I even used Drano once (which I hate using) to no avail.

After the shower fills up, it takes about 5/10 minutes to drain (so I know it's not 100% clogged). Towards the end, a "tap tap tap" noise can be heard from the pies.

Any suggestions? I don't want to pour another bottle of chemicals into the drain; I rather find another solution. Plumber is probably next, but what would he/she do differently?

Would a shop-vac help here, or is that also pointless given that the 15' snake couldn't solve the problem?

Thanks!

What kind of snake did you use? Sometimes the metal-coil snakes just poke a hole through the clog without fully clearing it. You could try a plastic barbed snake, which would be better at snagging the clog and perhaps pulling it out. Also, you could try the plunger again, but don't use full, powerful strokes with it--that can make the problem worse by packing the clog into a turn somewhere. Instead, use quick, short, in-and-out strokes in rapid succession to work the clog--make sure you have the drain filled with water first, since the water doesn't compress like air will. It also helps if you cover the overflow drain (if present).

You could also look for a plumbing clean-out--a capped off T in the pipe somewhere near where the drain pipe exits the house.

Another thing to check would be any vent pipes--sometimes animals or their nests clog those and cause a slow drain.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

For a shower, I have usually seen a bunch of hair close to the drain, so that plastic barbed snake mentioned is a very good solution. Also, my snake has a tip that is more likely to catch some of that and pull it back.

How long does it take to fill with water? If it is fast, then you know that it is not far to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    What kind of snake did you use? Sometimes the metal-coil snakes just poke a hole through the clog without fully clearing it. You could try a plastic barbed snake, which would be better at snagging the clog and perhaps pulling it out. Also, you could try the plunger again, but don't use full, powerful strokes with it--that can make the problem worse by packing the clog into a turn somewhere. Instead, use quick, short, in-and-out strokes in rapid succession to work the clog--make sure you have the drain filled with water first, since the water doesn't compress like air will. It also helps if you cover the overflow drain (if present).

You could also look for a plumbing clean-out--a capped off T in the pipe somewhere near where the drain pipe exits the house.

Another thing to check would be any vent pipes--sometimes animals or their nests clog those and cause a slow drain.
    I am using the metal coiled snake with a spring shaped tip. Maybe the plastic barbed snake might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    How long does it take to fill with water? If it is fast, then you know that it is not far to the problem.
    Good point. It takes about 20 secs to start filling up.

Thanks, guys. Just got informed that the plumber won't be able to come until Monday; it would be great if I can solve this issue sooner rather than wait 4 days.

I'd recommend getting a plumber out there with a industrial length snake to get to and through any obstructions .... sounds like this may be beyond the DIY project.

The fact that you are draining slowly makes me want to look at the venting for the shower. The vent being clogged somehow will slow down draining even if the drain piping is clear. You need atmospheric pressure on the drain to cause the water to flow out.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and used Drano Max Gel Clog Remover. It took two treatments and the entire bottle but it cleared the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    The fact that you are draining slowly makes me want to look at the venting for the shower. The vent being clogged somehow will slow down draining even if the drain piping is clear. You need atmospheric pressure on the drain to cause the water to flow out.
    This might be a dumb question, but is there another way to eliminate that possibility without climbing to the roof? Getting to the roof is not easy (three stories, steep roof)

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but is there another way to eliminate that possibility without climbing to the roof? Getting to the roof is not easy (three stories, steep roof)
    This may be a dumb idea, but: shop vac? Suck down onto the drain (making sure the overflow is blocked off), and plenty of air should be sucked through the drain and blow out the shop vac exhaust. If the vent is blocked, you should feel much less air flow.

(I am not a plumber, obviously )

I have been using a Kleer Drain (around $25 at HD) that uses CO2 cartridges to blow out the blockage. I have used it in toilets, showers, and sinks and the results are pretty amazing. Sometimes you need a couple of shots to clear the blockage. Obviously won't work if the problem is more than just a simple drain blockage, but for $25 it's worth a shot.

www.kleerdrain.blogspot.com

Steve

I rented a small line snake last year that was much smaller than a main line snake but offered better clearing results than my 20' 1/4" snake. It was a small frame with a drum for the snake, interchangeable tips, and a 3/8" drill for the motor. Sounds like you need a couple of different tips to clear the clog and then clean the pipes. If offers a little more power than a hand snake.

I've had some success with a bladder device that goes on the end of a hose. Bladder inflates in the drain and water shoots out thru a nozzle. Most big box stores have these in 2or 3 sizes. This could be useful clearing debris after the snake.

Can't you rent an industrial type snake? That is what I have done and they work better than the 15' versions, plus it it cheaper than calling a plumber!!

With four women in my house this is a common occurance (hair and various other things like razor caps in the drain). My first go-to tool is the plastic barbed tool sold at HD. Then the drain bladders as mentioned above. I also am lucky enough to have a 75' snake in the house that I go to if the others fail. I have used the Kleer Drain in the past but that was ineffectual for me. One thing I do fairly regularly (every three month) is pour a cup of household bleach in all the drains in the house. I let it sit for several hours and then flush water in the lines. I don't think it does a darn thing to dissolve the hair, but it does break up the soap scum that seems to hold those hair bundles together. (Word of Warning: do not urinate in the toilet if you have bleach in the bowl).

I would like to hear from anyone that has used a vacuum on the drain. My experience is the same as many with clumps of hair and soap gunk. The plastic barbed hook tool has worked for me a couple of times but I have also had to just take off the traps below the drain. I am lucky as my house is a single level with a basement so that the shower and tub drain traps are easy to get to....just a big smelly mess.