Thread: Looking to add a BIG laser

Looking to add a BIG laser

We currently have a 75 watt Vytek FX3 24 x 36 that runs almost all day every day. We are looking to add a 4x8 machine with the following in mind.

1) I want to laser 1" acrylic and occasional thin metals.

2) We laser a ton of 1/4" acrylic and would like to increase our through put.

3) We are looking into fast raster engraving ( 1/4" deep ) on hard woods.

Right now I am weighing a 170 watt vs. 450 watt.

Here are the companies we are looking at.

1) Vytek

2) Kern

3) Multicam

Looking for input on service and quality of the machines from anyone here who has experience with them...
    24" x 36" 100 watt laser w/ pass thru and custom 36" rotary • 60 x 120 CNC w/ 8 tool changer • 62" film laminator • 54" 6 color mild solvent printer / cutter

Newest addition to the family.... 60" x 120" flatbed UV printer. 4" max part height.

Synergy Sign & Graphics LLC
    147 Stoutt Drive NE
    Strasburg, OH 44680

There's a member here that had one when I went to his shop a couple of years ago, and I saw it run. I think it was 5'x10', quite
    a machine, Camtech LV30. I tipped him off to this thread in case he can be of any help.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hi Jim, I've seen the MultiCam laser at a sign show and was very impressed, the only obstacle for me was the price which was about $90+000 for the 400watt with gas assist. I've been operating 2 MultiCam CNC routers for the past 12 years and I can tell you that they are extremely good quality with very little down time, however, the local So Cal distributor has been of poor service when you need help but I've heard good things about other distributors, so as with any company that uses regional distributors some are good and some are bad, I would talk to your closest one and see if they have a demo you can check out, I never knew a machine that big could move that fast. Also I believe Derek Kern is a member here and I've heard nothing but good things about his company, if I had the money I would probably go with a Kern as they seem to have the best support as well as an excellent machine.
    Paul
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Hi Joe,

Nice to hear from you. I still have the Camtech L30v (100 watt Synrad). I've been using it more for cutting, and prototyping projects, rather than raster jobs. I did do an etched mirror raster job for a local police project though. Turned out nice.

The L30v is not particularly fast with the tube being mounted on the gantry's x-axis. Due to its mass, setting the speed too high will cause it to skip steps. From videos I've seen on the web, Kern machines use mirrors like my smaller Universal V460, or your Epilog. With less mass on the moving parts, it seems that they can operate much faster. I haven't thought much about selling the Camtech lately, but I suppose I would for the right price.

We should meet up for coffee again sometime soon. Business has been decent, and I've added quite a bit to the shop....small CNC router, CNC mill, lots of large format printing, vacuum formers, etc. Still a work in progress progress though....If I could only find more time to use it all. :-)

We looked at the Kern but could not justify 180K + for it.