Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Salt Pig

The Salt Pig

My wife loves salt. When she prays, I think part of what she prays for is that if she ever is stricken by some dread disease, that it not be one of those that requires it's victim to abstain from salt. She has always especially loved Maldon salt. These days, there are tons of "gourmet" or "artisan" salts on the market. But when I first met her, few had ever heard of any of them. I certainly had not.

The "problem" with these salts is that they are usually sold in their "natural" form, large crystals containing lots of moisture which precludes the common salt shaker. So they are usually kept on the table in a small bowl or a salt box. But there is another receptacle for these salts that I discovered. The salt pig.

When I first found out about salt pigs, I thought they were much more "fun" than salt bowls or salt boxes. Apparently the salt pig has it's origins in ancient Scotland and England and the nomenclature is derived from the reference to any earthenware container as a "pig". Some speculate that the term references the opening's resemblance to a pig's snout. Salt pigs generally come equipped with a small scoop. the salt crystals are scooped out of the pig and crushed with the fingers.

In any case, it seemed a likely candidate for a "practical" item that could be made on the lathe. Since my wife had a birthday coming up, I decided to take a shot at one. This is also my first attempt at making one of those.

This is an admittedly clumsy first effort. Overall, it's a bit on the too big side, the "snout" is out of proportion and the overall shape is awkward. But I learned a lot making this first one and my wife loved it. Seems like this would be a great candidate for a Mike Foster/Paul Hedman type multi-axis turning but that would involve a lot of carving and I've never enjoyed carving. It also begs for a Cynthia Gibson treatment!

salt_pig_1.jpgsalt_pig_2.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Can't say as I learn something new here every day..... but today I did!

3. Nice work,David......the first I ever heard of such an item as this.....this could lead to many versions and designs.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Really nicely done David.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi all;
    I am wondering why no one is asking how it was done? Dosen't anyone want to try one?
    Hoping that asking for details and production (tutorial) pictures is not a NO NO on SMC?
    It is a really neat piece, David.
    A Sea Salt tray / bowl is a very common kitchen and dining room piece in Denmark and I rember growing up with those on our table.
    I actually just made a small 3.5" bowl with a lid for my Son and DIL to use at their cottage. They love to use a pinch of Sea Salt to cook with.
    Just asking.....
    Peter F.

Very nice David, I really like your spoon!

Salt Pig: who would have thunk it.

Looks really neat. And the spoon is great!

Peter, not a NO NO at all. Most here are more than happy to share how they do things. DD on the other hand, he's different. He holds on to secrets like CIA agent! Hehe, just kidding. I'm sure DD will be more than happy to divulge. But from what I see, it looks like he turned a fire hydrant, drilled a hole in the side, and inserted a tube/ring in that hole. Simple...in concept. Application might be MUCH harder, not sure, but that would be MY guess!

DD, rather than a pig, I think this looks like the Despicable Me charicters...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Cool! Looks like a character from South Park...you killed Kenny!

We use this salt pig everyday! It is great; easy to access and the coarse/kosher salt has a much better texture than the ol' regular table salt with which we are probably all familiar.

I love your execution DD; however, having used one for some time, it seems to me that yours would be nearly impossible to stick your hand in to get your pinch . . . is it just the picture? If you have to pour it, I think that kinda defeats the purpose of these contraptions . . .

Great looking in any event!

P.S. What's the removable stick (finial) for?
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post
    P.S. What's the removable stick (finial) for?
    There is a scoop on the end of the 'removable stick' -- no fingers needed.

That looks really cool David! Great job on the spoon finial too!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Egg on "Pig" face . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    There is a scoop on the end of the 'removable stick' -- no fingers needed.
    Oh man . . . do I feel dumb! Shoulda looked a bit closer before typing . . .
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

I like the pig's proportions! The spoon definitely is the icing on the cake... er... salt on the fry... pig in a poke... bee's knees...
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Good job David, the only other place I have seen a 'Salt Pig' is at my Mother in laws, she uses one for her sea salt crystals in the kitchen, right next to the cooker(range) for easy addition to her recipes! She always cooks enormous meals when we go there, so loose trousers(pants) and an empty stomach are a must when we visit!!