Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday to my Beauty!!

Steve, I would think it more like an anniversary - after all, you two spend a lot of time together, share good times (and a few bad!), and you see to each other's needs. But, then, I guess Colleen might get a bit jealous!! Congrats on both the past year - and, on a great story well told!

That is the very lathe I will have someday. I will be saving my pennies. Congrats.

Steve,

Heck I am glad my delivery was much less complex. A few strong backs or at least willing participants and it was in the shop. Glad it has been such a great experience. I know I am enjoying mine.

Alan

Great story, Steve. She sure is a beaut!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

What a FUN read ! Great story and terrific pics. Thanks much for sharing.
    Dick Mahany.

Great story Steve. Thanks for sharing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

wonderful story to that final delivery in your basement. Seems like only yesterday you got it...geez, time flies.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

happy birthday, thanks for sharing

Congratulations Steve and Happy Birthday to the other Lady that happens to live in the Basement.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Just thought it would be something fun - and a little different - to share with everyone. Happy turnings!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

11. Great thread, Steve..........thanks for the pics and narrative...........I am like some of the others...........yep, someday! Hopefully not a too distant someday! Glad you put some info about the speed changes and the 2 pulley system......something I had wondered about, and the high efficiency motor.........

I also noticed a bearing setting on the ways in one of the pics......is that one of the spindle bearings? Looks to be heavy duty sealed and no doubt American made? Those quality parts make up for more refined performance usually.......NICE!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger... you have a good eye! Robust uses some really heavy duty bearings! This blurb is taken from their website: Bearings: Heavy duty permanently lubricated bearings are fitted. They carry 40% more load than leading competitors. That's why Robust is the only manufacturer that warrants the headstock bearings, and warrants them for seven years.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I am far too jealous to comment rationally on this thread.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Great tour, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Once it was wired and fully operational, I jacked up the height so that the spindle was at 46”, which is the height I am used to turning at. Once at the proper height, and while I still had my truck jack, I made sure the lathe was level and balanced.
    Oh hey I didn't even know the legs were that adjustable. That's really a great little feature. Like you said attention to detail everywhere.

Very nice story, thanks for sharing. One update, Brent and the factory are now down the road a bit in Barneveld, Wisconsin. It's only a couple of miles west of the old location. The new space is bigger and really nice.

Dave F.