Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn Colors

Autumn Colors

Although terribly dry here in Northern Minnesota, the colors were very good this fall. Thought it would be fun to share a few of the pictures I took during a couple walkabouts around the property with Wilson, my best furry friend over the last couple weeks.

Very nice, Matt. Pretty country. Thanks for sharing.

I noticed the same thing here in Northeast Wisconsin. Thought the reds of the maples were exceptionally bright this year. Despite the dry conditions I prefer to have a dry fall, I think it's more enjoyable and seems to extend my favorite although too short time of year.

Nice shooting bench, your design or made from plans?

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Thanks Guys. The snow we received here overnight all but ended our fall colors. The sticky-wet stuff all but stripped all the branches clean.

Jerry, the bench is modified from plans. I am a big guy, so I made this one larger than the plans called for. I also modified the seats, so the shooter can slide them around to fit your stature. One day I plan on doing a lot more shooting.... that is if we still can, and I can still afford components when that time comes. Its kind of nice having the shooting bench right next to the deer stand ;-)

Thanks Matt. I lived in Minnesota for my first 40 years. I moved to Oregon 20 years ago. We get a little fall color in my area,but what I miss is the aroma of the autumn forest in Minnesota. It could be the lack of Birch trees out here. Your photos brought back the memories of walking and breathing in the glorious fall smell of the woods near Duluth.

Andrew, we still need to get to the Northwest area for a visit. Whenever we go on long vacations its usually to escape the cold MN winters, so its usually some place South.

Duluth and the North Shore area is some of the most beautiful country on Earth. Its one of our favorite places to visit. I know exactly what you mean about that wonderful aroma. It is especially good on those warm and sunny indian summer days, when the cool breeze gently moves through the trees. It is intoxicating. It is as though it arouses something primal from deep within. Breathing that cool, clean, fresh air is so fullfilling and invigorating.

Our home is actually in the Lake George area, near Itasca State Park. My wife and I both work in Bemidji. I was born and raised in Bemidji, and have lived in the area all but for 6 of my 55 years when I went to electrical school out of the area and also in the Twin Cities area when I did my apprenticeship back in the late 70s, early 80s. This is home.

Do you think fall leaves changed earlier this year than they normally do? For some reason it seems to have happened sooner down in Kentucky this year.

Rich, I think the drought definitely shortened the time that it took for the leaves to turn once they began in this area, but as far as when they began to change it was about normal. They didn't last long, but they went out with a bang. I'm sure the drought took its toll on quite a few trees. The experts say that its the decreasing amount of daylight/increasing amount of darkness that triggers the change. Maybe shutting down a bit early is nature's way of conserving moisture?

Beautiful fall colors and photos! Thanks for sharing!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank You Ken! You're welcome!

Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them. We don't get that kind of color here in the South.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Thanks Belinda and Ken. Boy those leaves didn't last long this year. We have a fresh skimming of white everywhere this morning.

Not quite as spectacular but we do have a little color down south. Took this 2 days ago just outside Atlanta...my front yard.

joe

100_1315[2].jpg
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Looks like you guys are about 3-4 weeks later there Joe!

Blog Entries
    Great pics! We headed north for a color tour on Tuesday and Wednesday. Here is a shot from a scenic overlook west of Traverse City MI, near the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore, along with 2 more interesting pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-13-2012 at 10:49 AM.