Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your favorite/most helpful shop gear

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    I have two and I manage to always be looking for them. By the way, I'm not in love with either of my tape measures...anyone got any recs?
    I have a couple of the Lee Valley right to left 12 footers. They match each other, my steel rules and my squares. Early on I worked through getting accurate measuring tools for the shop and let no sub-optimal interlopers in, regardless of how cute they are, fluorescent green they are, tricked out auto locking they are, etc. KIIS. I keep one tape at the bench and one at the tablesaw/router table and be sure to put them back in their little spot instead of setting them down on the bench to get buried in kruft. Its so much easier just to reach for one where it is suppoed to be than to wonder where I put it ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have two and I manage to always be looking for them. By the way, I'm not in love with either of my tape measures...anyone got any recs?
    Fastcap tapes have lots of features and options. They are well thought out. I particularly like the flat version for working in the shop. I also like the lefty/righty model as well. Also, It is best to use only one tape measure through the whole project due to difference in the tapes themselves.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My top 10 "wish I'd bought them sooner" list:
    Dust Collector remote
    Box of #2 pencils
    Flexible steel ruler for layouts
    Worksharp 3000
    Veritas apron plane
    Small speed square
    Dial Caliper
    Spiral router bits
    small f clamps
    electric pencil sharpener

Well..............took me a minute. I have one of those picker upper thingies called an Easyreacher. Sure is handy for pickin' up stuff dropped in a corner behind all the stuff that always ends up in corners, stuff on shelves instead of draggin' out the step stool ladder, and wasps that want to camp out in the shop.
    Then, there is the air comp. and my battery operated Shark floor sweeper for chips and dust.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Lately the Chinese tapes are ACCURATE. Bought one for a dollar at HF,checked it next to two foot Starrete square blade,it's perfect. Bought two more.

I have a Fastcap and a few others but the one I go to is the Komelon 12', it is self-locking. Unlike most tape that you pull out and then push something to lock it in place the Komelon lock when you pull them out and then you push a button to store them.

This really works great when you are working one handed, hook the hook and pull it out and is stays there without you having to do anything, it was a little different to get used to but after a short leaning curve I hate using the other type tapes now.

http://www.amazon.com/Komelon-SL2812...ywords=Komelon