Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite/most helpful shop gear

Your favorite/most helpful shop gear

Hadn't seen one of these threads for a while, so I thought we could start another one. Your favorite small tools, accessories, etc. that you've come to love/appreciate recently.

I'll start it off. A recent renovation project meant lots of full sheets of drywall, cement board, melamine, and plywood being delivered. I finally bit the bullet and got one of those Gorilla Grippers for handling sheet goods (AMZ had a good price on it). Oh my goodness. Makes handling full (or even) half sheets SO MUCH easier. Due to limited space, we kept having to shuffle full sheets around from one location to another and I can't imagine moving all those sheets that frequently without the Gorilla. Definitely a huge, huge, back-saver (though I did manage to injure my back lifting something that the GG couldn't help with, but that's a different story...).

Go for it!

I find this thickness gauge very useful.

http://www.gauge-it.com/product_thickness.htm

Also, I've learned to use 12" key stock of various thickness for layout and tool setup.
    Last edited by Brian Brightwell; 10-03-2012 at 10:12 PM.

DC remote control!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

http://www.amazon.com/Telpro-TROLL-3.../dp/B0000224PA To broad a question ,favorite tool is the one in my hand at that moment but I do have a troll .My wife won it at a JLC show .I do mostly field work by myself and this has been so handy . Have you ever picket up Quite Rock ,sheet rock with metal in the middle .Weigh as much as me .I can roll it around with this and sort of jump stuff over obsticles . carefully bring sheet good bymyself past fancy furniture . It has been a real helpful tool.

There was a timely thread not too long ago about screwdrivers. After reading it, I realized mine were pretty much shot. I splurged on a Wera Kraftform Kompakt 25. Expensive, but very comfortable and the cool factor is off the charts! I upgraded the bits to Wera BiTorsion Diamond Coated bits and they NEVER slip/cam-out! I smile every time I use this tool, go around the house/shop looking for things to tighten up, and even pass up on using my 12V Bosch a lot (not always, though).
    My next favorite/most helpful tool is anything that lets me slice rather than abrade wood. Planes, chisels, spoke shaves, scrapers, etc always beat sanding. I know, I know, to get a really fine finish...

I've loved my Porter Cable 4 1/2 inch worm drive panel cutting saw for years. I hate wrestling a big 4X8 piece of plywood on to my table saw like I used to do when I started out in my hobby shop. This little saw allows you to trim it to approximate size and then put the more easily handable piece through your table saw. It's much lighter than a full size circular saw and has plenty of power. Just need to get a new blade for it though since I've put miles of cutting on the original one since I got it.

Most likely my track saw, though many people dislike them. It's a very convenient and easy tool to use.

I have large, old woodworking machines in my shop. I couldn't live without my engine hoist or my 5500 lb. pallet jack. Priceless!

Jeff

I've come to appreciate some common jigs I've built for my shop. The crosscut sled, and the t-square router guide have really proved their worth. I wouldn't be without them now

Blog Entries
    The best thing I ever did for my shop was my infeed/outfeed table for the miter saw, and the outfeed table for the tablesaw.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have a basic vice mounted on the front of one bench. Metal jaws. Speed screw. Gets lots of use, and I might add a couple more on some other table areas

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    DC remote control!
    I'll second that one!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I'll second that one!
    Dust Collection Remote Control?

Rulers and drafting tools. They are always out in the shop.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Kreg Jig, Stanley deadblow hammer, Fastcap 16' tapemeasure, Starret 6" double combination square, cabinet scraper, No. 2 pencils & pencil sharpener..
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 10-07-2012 at 9:51 PM.