Thread: Is this the proper plug for a Minimax MM-24 Bandsaw

Is this the proper plug for a Minimax MM-24 Bandsaw

I recently purchased a 2004 MM-24 bandsaw with a 220v single phase 3.5 KW/4.8 HP motor. It has a three prong locking 220V L6-20A plug on the power cord. Is that correct for this size motor? I would have thought this large a motor would require 220V 30A power. If it is the correct size there should be no problem changing to a non-locking straight bladed plug (6-20A) right?

short answer yes you could change it to a standard straight blade 220v plug. is there some reason you want to get rid of the locking plug? i prefer the locking style as it minimizes the chances of the plug becoming unexpectedly unplugged. i use twist lock plugs on all my machines running 220v.

i would check with MM to confirm that it only needs 20a. my bandsaw with the same size motor can run on a 20a but it's recommended to have it on a 30a, to avoid nuisance trips from starting the motor.
    Last edited by David Hawxhurst; 10-01-2012 at 6:45 PM.

David, good point regarding security of plugs, unfortunately all my shop recepticles are straight blade at this time. I guess it is possible that the previous owner did not have 30A power in his shop and ran the saw on 20A. If I had an owners manual it would probably tell me the recommended wiring and amperage but I don't have one. I will try to contact MM.

receptacles are easy to change.

I would use plugs rated for 30 Amps since that's what code indicates is needed for a motor that size. Just my opinion though.

I use L6-30 twist lock.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

You probably know this, but reading your post I'm not sure so just for clarity....replacing the plug to non-locking in a home shop is fine, replacing the plug to a 30 amp version is also fine. However it does nothing to affect the power that is available at the outlet. Or put another way, unless you run a 30 amp line and receptacle, putting a 30 amp plug does absolutely nothing except change the style of plug. personally I believe all shop machinery should be of the locking receptacle type....but that's just me. And as David said....receptacles are very easy to change

Since the previous owner used it on a 20 amp line you may be OK? Especially seeing that 4.8 hp is a LOT of motor for that size saw. Unless your doing a lot of full height re-sawing you may never get close to the motors capacity. On the other hand that size motor is probably rated at something in the neighborhood of 22 amps or so??? In which case if it were in my shop I'd feel more comfortable with it on a 30 amp line.

good luck,
    JeffD

Twist-Locs are what we fit to all our machines when they need a cord.

Best,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I have the same motor on my MM16 band saw. It should be on a 30 amp circuit. It will run on some 20 amp circuits, but it draws over 20 amps while running & well over that at start up. The problem with a 20 amp circuit is it can easily trip the breaker at start up or under a heavy load. Also if running for a long period the wire could over heat causing a potential fire hazard. I'd recommend you wire a 30 amp circuit for it.
    It may cost you a few bucks, but so did that saw.

Guys, thanks for responding to my question and confirming my suspicion that 30A power is appropriate. Fortunately I had three 220V - 30A circuits installed in the shop some time ago. Regarding locking plugs, I had not considered that a need in the past but it makes sense so will put on my to-do list to change out in the future.

Jeff, Yes my understanding is as you stated but it is good to have you reinforce that understanding.

Thanks to all for your input.