Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $969 to replace my brakes,forget college, I'm going to brake replacement school

Were the other service bays empty, by chance?

I go with an independent wrench.
    He does what's needed, and is the only one under the car.

He charges more on oil changes, less on repairs.
    If he's licked by a task, I can always go to the dealer.

Uhmmm,,,,,,,,, 41,000 miles and you need a complete brake job? That seems a little soon for me, unless you've been doing a lot of towing.

FWIW, $969.00 for a complete brake job, while excessive is better than the $2K a BMW dealer will try to charge you. The wanted $1200.00 for just my fronts. It cost me $500 to do all 4 myself.
    Being that you're a former mechanic, I can't see that any brake job would stump you.

I'd leave the grandson in college, the mechanic doesn't get all of the money.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I pay my mechanic 1 beer per tire and I supply parts and then drink the beer
    I like brake jobs I know I will get some beer when I am done!
    Carpe Lignum

I find it interesting that I can sometimes get brakes and such done for less on my 43 foot motorhome than for my car. I know several places that charge $75 an hour for my motorhome and they mostly charge actual time.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 09-30-2012 at 3:14 PM.

I was not put on this earth to keep auto shops in business. For the most part I am a mechanical idiot. I have a 1986 BMW and a 1993 Ford Ranger. I have a book for both of them and my wife keeps them running just fine thankyou.

Replace them yourself, new pads, rotors and calipers would not cost that much, 4 hrs max.
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

I just replaced the brakes on my F350 myself this included new pads new rotors and new calipers on all 4 wheels plus a 15 foot brake line for $450.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I just replaced the brakes on my F350 myself this included new pads new rotors and new calipers on all 4 wheels plus a 15 foot brake line for $450.
    Did you pull the gas tank to install the brake line

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I had my 2008 Ford Explorer in for an oil change. The shop called & said I needed new brakes. I wasn't surprised since the car has 41,000 miles on it, so I asked him how much it would cost (4 wheel disc brakes). He said he'd prepare an estimate for me when I picked up the car. I picked up the car & got an estimate to replace the brakes of $969 . My wife tells me I'm living in the past but $969 for a brake job seems awfully high.So here's the question: I (a former auto repair shop owner myself) am currently sending my grandson to college, should I pull him out & send him to brake repair school?
    Dennis
    it would be interesting to see to see the quote and/or the cost of the parts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll do them myself.
    Details of the quote(for all 4 wheels)
    brake pads $185
    Rotors 405
    labor 220
    brake fluid service 80
    Shop supplies 17
    tax 62
    total $969
    Note that new calipers were not included. It is not a dealership, it's a shop that's part of a local chain.

Dennis

Why would the car need new rotors at 41000 miles?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Why would the car need new rotors at 41000 miles?
    That's a good question. Should the rotors always be replaced? I looked at them and they don't appear to be scored
    Dennis

Do the brakes pulsate if not your rotors should be good if they do see if you can have them turned.

Have you looked at the pads to see if they are actually that worn? I agree that 41k is not very high mileage for new pads, let alone rotors. My Toyota Tacoma got it's 1st brake job at 140,000 miles, the pads were replaced, the rotors were turned, drum brakes in the rear got new shoes. I just did the 2nd brake job (myself), front wheels only at 215,000 miles and replaced pads and rotors, parts were around $100.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I just replaced the front disc brake pads on my 1997 Chev S-10 this week and it cost me less than $40. If you can - replace the pads yourself and save your money!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!