Thread: My Latest Project

My Latest Project

I just completed this stand as a birthday present for my beautiful wife. The framework is made from some curly cherry while the top, which is also cherry, has has some nice figure and a swirl of very prominent cats paws. The frame is mortice & tenon construction. The top is a three piece glue-up taken end to end from the same board and figure matched as well as possible. I attached the top using pocket holes in the top rails which I elongated to allow for seasonal movement. I beveled the top to lighten it and then carried that design aspect to the bottom of the legs.

I applied a half pound cut of garnet shellac followed by a custom blend of GF dye that I like to use on cherry. On the top I thinned down the dye to give a bit more translucense and allow the cats paws to stand out more. On the framework I followed the dye with 5 coats of satin wipe-on poly, while I sprayed the top with 5 coats of Behlen "Buffcoat" lacquer. Lastly, I applied a nice coat of Liberon Black Bison wax (clear).

This was a mostly Neanderthal project. I did cheat and use my tablesaw to rip the stock and to bevel the top. I also used a cordless drill with my kreg jig for the pocket holes. Oh yeah, and does using an electric buffer count against me too?

2012 Loaine B-Day 01.jpg2012 Loaine B-Day 02.jpg2012 Loaine B-Day 03.jpg2012 Loaine B-Day 04.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Very nice work and good design!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nice.Top glue up is good . "Matched as well as possible" is quite accurate.

Very nice! I like the combination of textures.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very very nice, Stew. I like cherry and you've done a great job on it.
    I am confused about dying the cherry after you gave it a wash coat of shellac. I thought dye could only be applied to raw wood. Do you sand back to wood after the initial coat of shellac?
    Paul

I like this and what a neat way to make use of the designer boxes. All in all a great project. Kudo's to you and your wife.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    I am confused about dying the cherry after you gave it a wash coat of shellac. I thought dye could only be applied to raw wood. Do you sand back to wood after the initial coat of shellac?
    Paul
    I use the shellac as a grain sealer so that I don't get blotching. And actually, it's probably more like 1/3lb that 1/2lb; I make my shellac with a 75/25 mix of denatured alcohol/everclear to slow down the drying in general, but with this thin mix I also add some 99% pure isopropyl alcohol to slow it further to give the shellac plenty of time to soak in deep. I use garnet because it imparts a hint of redish background color. Yes I do sand afterward but just lightly, usually with 320, although I did take the top to 600.

Stew Hagerty

Nice work Stew! It has a "light" feeling to it....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mike, Mel, Bruce, Paul, Gordon, and Ken... Thank you all for your kind comments. My wife does indeed love the stand, we have a large Master Bath and she decided to put in there.

OK, now on to my next project. First I'm going to go to work on a puzzle box for my granddaughter's 3rd birthday in a about 3 weeks. Then I think I'm going to build a new coffee & end table set. I'm thinking something in the Craftsman style, but made from mahogany. Anyone have any good ideas?

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    How did I miss this? Beautiful piece. LOML has been after something very similar; also for a bathroom. The light visual weight is a perfect fit. I am hiding this thread form her for sure .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice. I am trying to sort out in my mind various approaches to finishing having done a lot of reading. I am curious why you chose the wipe-on poly on the legs and the sprayed lacquer on the top?
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cahill View Post
    Very nice. I am trying to sort out in my mind various approaches to finishing having done a lot of reading. I am curious why you chose the wipe-on poly on the legs and the sprayed lacquer on the top?
    Paul
    The wipe-on poly was easy to apply to the open web structure of the frame without dealing with the drips & runs that (for me at least) would be inevitable with spraying in and around everything. Plus I didn't want the frame to have the deep high gloss of the top.

Stew Hagerty