Thread: 1st Miniature Birdhouse

1st Miniature Birdhouse

I've been watching all these miniature birdhouses turned on here for the last couple of years. Finally decided to have a go at it. Not perfect but was fun learning how to turn one. The underside of the roof needs to be recessed more, so the roof will drop down lower over the body. Will experiment more next time on that. Got a chance to play with a set of mini tools that have been gathering dust for a long time. Had a couple of mishaps along the way. Learned why turners use a face shield. My chuck didn't hold on to the birdhouse & it decided to pop me on the end of the nose. Luckily I got nothing worse than a wake up call. Got to invest in a face shield before I do much more turning using a chuck. When screwing in the eyehook, it decided to break off flush with the top of the roof. I decided to not give up & decided to improvise instead. I took a short piece of wire & twised a loop in it. I then drilled two small holes on each side of the broken eyehook. Then glued the wire hook in each hole. Worked out ok. I'm going to have to pickup some lighter colored wood to contrast my colors on making these. Not perfect but was fun which is what I like about turning...
    birdhouse1800.jpgbirdhouse5800.jpg
    Billy

looks good t me. I have a branch that I am going to try a couple of these with.
    Darren in Oshawa

They look fine Billy. They are fun and fairly fast to make. Every time I make a batch, the disappear pretty fast.

Great job Billy. Looks like you are on your way.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great start, good way to use up scraps. I use fishing swivels that I got at Cabella's for the eyes. Looks like you already gave yourself a critique so not much to add here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Jamieson View Post
    looks good t me. I have a branch that I am going to try a couple of these with.
    Thanks for the comments Darren!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hix View Post
    They look fine Billy. They are fun and fairly fast to make. Every time I make a batch, the disappear pretty fast.
    Thanks for the comments Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Great job Billy. Looks like you are on your way.
    Thanks for the comments Bernie!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    Great start, good way to use up scraps. I use fishing swivels that I got at Cabella's for the eyes. Looks like you already gave yourself a critique so not much to add here.
    Thanks for the comments Steve!
    Billy

Took the birdhouse to work with me today! Showed it to some of the teachers that I work with. Looks like I'm going to have to figure out what these things sell for. I figured between $20-$25 would be fair. I've got orders for 3 of them already... Will have to get busy in the shop now...
    Billy

Great job, Bill. I've been doing some myself, and they're fun and quick. Orders for 3... that's a good start. Have fun, and be safe.

I had a couple displays at a local craft shop, one was mini birdhouses and the other was pens/bottle-stoppers and some bowls/vases. I pulled all the bowls/vases, hadn't sold any for months but the mini birdhouses and pens do pretty good, the BHs better then the pens.

"The best things in life are not things."