Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Simple Citrus Bowl

A Simple Citrus Bowl

This was my project yesterday. The last time I was at the tree trimmers to pick up a load of af sumac, there was 1 lonely little citrus log mixed in. I'm not sure which type of citrus, but I imagine they're all pretty much alike, and looking at the cut end of the log it is very bland. Pretty much just a pale nothingness. But sometimes there are good uses for bland wood, so I took it with me. I cut the log in half and buried one of the halves in my sawdust pile in hopes of some spalting. I cut a blank out of the other half and started turning.

It seems to be a fairly hard wood, but it cut easily and left a nice surface. It also sanded very easily even though it was green, it would make a great wood for beginners to practice on. I'm thinking it might make some decent carving wood (at least green). I considered applying some dye, but didn't have the time or energy (that's a story for another day), and was surprised at how well it held up when I had to leave it uncovered and unattended for several hours.

Just a simple grain with some simple color, but I like it. It's 8 1/2" x 2 1/2" with just a coat of lacquer sanding sealer so far. I thought an oil might change the color, a pretty pale yellow, so skipped using any. I may just finish it with a few more coats of sealer, or possibly some satin lacquer since I don't really want the gloss look to this one.

PICT0002-001.JPGPICT0006-001.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are wecome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

That's a nice, simple bowl, Kathy. I like the bead around the foot. You're right, there is a place for simple.

3. I really like this one Kathy..........fine form you put on it, and I like the change of pace with this citrus. I agree with just a sealer as a finish....matte, not gloss will make for a very usable bowl. I rate this with an A+.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great form as usual.

Satin is always better than gloss.....................

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Naturally, we get a lot of citrus down here in Florida. It usually spalts fast, but not pretty. Just turns a light muddy brown, but that might be a local fungus. It attacks quite quickly here, so citrus is generally turned to finish while very green and sealed with lacquer.

BTW, that is a nice simple bowl and pleasing for its simplicity.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Nice bowl, Kathy. I really like it.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Great wood, a potential contender for holly if bleached. Bowl came out very nice. I have access to lemon or grafefoot but never over 5" (raw).

"Plain" wood offers a unique opportunity to focus the attention of the viewer on the form alone. There is no flamboyant figure or rich coloring to compensate for a less than perfect form. The form of this "simple" and "unassuming" bowl is spot on. The matte finish is perfect for it.
    David DeCristoforo

+1 on DD's statement, "simple" & "unassuming" beautiful form.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

I like the peak on the rim. Makes a nice shadow line. I do prefer plain and simple.

robo hippy

Very nice. I like the clean look and color in this piece. Nice to see stuff we don't hear about turning...looks like a winner to turn!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I like that a lot, Kathy. Does it smell good when you're working with it?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks guys!
    If you ever come across any citrus, give it a try!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Naturally, we get a lot of citrus down here in Florida. It usually spalts fast, but not pretty. Just turns a light muddy brown, but that might be a local fungus. It attacks quite quickly here, so citrus is generally turned to finish while very green and sealed with lacquer.

BTW, that is a nice simple bowl and pleasing for its simplicity.
    Mrs Tree Trimmer said on of the other guys that gets wood from them, has had good luck with spalting it and gets some nice colors in it, so we'll see. But then, he may just be color blind .
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I like the peak on the rim. Makes a nice shadow line. I do prefer plain and simple.

robo hippy
    The peak was just a nice happenstance. I originally had it turned to just slope inward, but I didn't want a sharp edge on the outside, so I just started nipping away at it until it looked right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    I like that a lot, Kathy. Does it smell good when you're working with it?
    It does have a slight citrusy smell, not very strong but it is a pleasant smell.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Really nice bowl Kathy. I like the simple form, wood and the foot.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It might be a simple little bowl, but some times the very simple forms can be the hardest to get right and easiest to stuff up. The form and foot are just great, not to mention the finish.
    neil

The wooden Potter