This was my project yesterday. The last time I was at the tree trimmers to pick up a load of af sumac, there was 1 lonely little citrus log mixed in. I'm not sure which type of citrus, but I imagine they're all pretty much alike, and looking at the cut end of the log it is very bland. Pretty much just a pale nothingness. But sometimes there are good uses for bland wood, so I took it with me. I cut the log in half and buried one of the halves in my sawdust pile in hopes of some spalting. I cut a blank out of the other half and started turning.

It seems to be a fairly hard wood, but it cut easily and left a nice surface. It also sanded very easily even though it was green, it would make a great wood for beginners to practice on. I'm thinking it might make some decent carving wood (at least green). I considered applying some dye, but didn't have the time or energy (that's a story for another day), and was surprised at how well it held up when I had to leave it uncovered and unattended for several hours.

Just a simple grain with some simple color, but I like it. It's 8 1/2" x 2 1/2" with just a coat of lacquer sanding sealer so far. I thought an oil might change the color, a pretty pale yellow, so skipped using any. I may just finish it with a few more coats of sealer, or possibly some satin lacquer since I don't really want the gloss look to this one.

PICT0002-001.JPGPICT0006-001.JPG
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are wecome.