Thread: 46-460

46-460

Bought another lathe today and would like to find out some info. Any ideas, suggestions as to how to keep the sawdust/shavings from the on/off switch and control box? I thought maybe a plastic cover when operating but don't know if it would get to hot.

I've never had any trouble with mine. Hit it with the air hose and let it go.

I have had no trouble in 2 1/2 years. I keep the dust down in the headstock area by running the shopvac over the switches and the back grill every time I change operations. When others started reporting trouble, I thought about adding filter medium to the grill but have not done so.

The on/off switch is large and easily accessible for a reason. In an emergency, I'd bet you wouldn't care about dust in the switch, as much as you would being able to turn it off quickly. The dust is a pain, but blowing it off after each session has been working for me. Do realize that I have only had my 46-460 for 10 months. A lot of people have reported the switch problem, but for me, so far so good. I probably just jinxed myself. By the way, the guy that invents dustless wood turning will be an instant gazillionare!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Wally, can not help on the weight, but for light i use regular 4 ft florescent overhead for turning, which is not enough for close look, i use a 100 watt bulb in portable work light for closer look with the lathe turned off