Thread: Points for Tops

Points for Tops

For you guys that turn old fashioned tops, where do you get the metal points? Or do you use something else?

Thanks in advance.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I've never thought to make a metal point for any of the tops I've turned, but it shouldn't much trouble to turn down little bits of aluminum, brass, etc. to attach as a nice point.

Have used brass rod myself. Turned it to a point after gluing it in.

Clint

Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying you can turn soft metals on the lathe?
    What tools do you use?

Yes, you can. I've turned bits of brass a few times with no trouble. Your HSS tools will cut right through that soft metal. Slow, light cuts should result in little metal curlies.

Just use the same safety procedures you would use with any other turning...especially in the department of eye protection.

I think you could also use a brass screw and turn the head down to a point. For safety, don't touch the turned metal right after taking the tool away. It can get very hot --- I know!

I use plastic knitting needles. Just drill a small hole, insert a piece of needle and turn a point on it. They last a long time.

If you mean throwing tops, Google "Alan Gray throwing tops" I have seen some metal pointed tops on his site. He might sell you some or send you to where you can buy some.

Or you can use a double headed nail, cut off the top head, and part of the shank. Then chuck up the remainder and while it is turning file it to shape.

For finger tops I just place a bit of CA glue on the point and wipe away excess. This makes a hard point without wondering if added material will be in good balance for "precision" spinning.

What Jamie said. I make all my tops using hard maple. You can also burnish the tip with the back side of your spindle gouge.