Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointer Damage

Sorry to hear your jointer had some damage. Hopefully yu can get her fixed and back up and running but depending on the costs to get it fixed, it may not be worth it. I am a huge fan of OWWM (Old wood working machinery) . They don't make machinery like they used to currently, most are made overseas.....

If your repair doesn't work out you may want to consider an Oliver 6" or 8" jointer. They were made with quality in mind and if you ever have the opportunity to check one out, you'll see what I'm talking about. You may have to consider getting a VFD as these machines are 3 phase motors , most of them.

This is just my personal opinion as we all have them but I will only purchase OWWM....the quality speaks volumes and they were built to last and perform with quality results...

Hope it works out for you either way.....

B,

I would have mentioned OWWM, but not everyone likes restoring before using.
    I choked when mentioning the Jet, but it had much better quality than the 8" Griz that replaced it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    JMHO, I would consider that machine a loss. I would try to return it. If that is not possible, I will hope for you to get some sort of a semi-serviceable machine out of it and hope you didn't pay too much. As mentioned, the likelihood of getting parts that actually align without buying the whole assembly are pretty much nil. You can get away with this on a p-bed jointer but, DT way machines are generally machined as assembled. Some sort of a fixed solution and a trip to the machine shop might be a solution. Depending on the condition advertised by the seller, I would really try for a return . . . actually, I would try for a return anyway.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-26-2012 at 8:41 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's a common misconception that OWWM stuff needs restoration to work. There are lots of plug and play machines out there. I would argue that because the OWWM guys like to buy cheap and fix up, there are relative bargains for operable or rehabbed machines if you compare the price to inferior new. Jointers in particular are good candidates in that the tables if not worn are likely ground to tighter standards than new with larger diameter cutterheads and most important, tables that bolt to the wedges so any alignment problems can be fixed. Dave

I agree with David. Some of the jointers are really overbuilt masterpieces designed to be used indefinitely ,can remove more wood at one time etc. Jointer table adjustment is an almost constant topic here,even on brand new machines.It is so much easier on the old ones especially with a small modification ,described in my finger calousing magnum opus JOINTER POINTER post. As said before some will need table alignment,but it is important to understand that is a one time thing. Mostly they were adjusted out of adjustment by someone misguided.

Thanks for the advise everyone. They seller said he was willing to "make good" but now the problem is I am away from home for work for the next month, so I gotta figure that out. I would love to get an OWWM machine but there aren't a lot of options in Austin. I'm sure I could probably find one in Houston or Dallas but work has been keeping me pretty busy. On top of that, all I have is a garage shop (space if definitely an issue) and the significant other already gives me crap for the small amount I spend on this hobby.

Hmph...all I want to do is spend some time in the shop...

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    It's a common misconception that OWWM stuff needs restoration to work.
    I know that. My shop is full of OWWM. But taking parts of machines off to replace bearings isn't everybody's cup of tea.

I've seen lots of machines for sale in your neck of the woods. You can find them, but usually on OWWM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night